Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Next-Gen Gaming > Nintendo Figurine Platform

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Germ (Mod)
Posted: May 12, 2014 (10:34 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

During Nintendo's May 8th Financial Results Briefing, they announced the Nintendo Figurine Platform. This project will use the Wii U's built-in Near Field Communication (NFC) to allow plastic figurines of Nintendo characters to work with games for the platform. Nintendo also promised the figurines would work with the 3DS.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/04.html

It seems that this is Nintendo's answer to Skylanders and Disney Infinity. Personally, I think it is a great idea for Nintendo. What does everyone else think?

Finally! A signature!

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: May 12, 2014 (05:09 PM)

The technology is there, they might as well use it. And Nintendo figurines interest me way more than Skylanders.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: pickhut
Posted: May 13, 2014 (12:55 AM)

Not exactly my thing, but it sounds like something that could possibly work with the Nintendo base. I mean, given the success of games like Pokemon where you catch 'em all and how people absolutely flip out every time a new Smash Bros. character is introduced, I can see this working.

I head spaceshit noises

board icon
Author: Germ (Mod)
Posted: May 13, 2014 (08:24 AM)

As soon as Skylanders came out, I immediately thought of Pokemon. It probably would not be practical to make a large portion of the Pokemon that exist into figurines, but maybe they would have certain ones that could only be attained through purchasing a figure? Then again, I think that would certainly lead to backlash.

Still, there has to be a good Pokemon implementation somewhere, and even if there is not, the ability to move other figures between games and platforms is pretty exciting.

Finally! A signature!

board icon
Author: pickhut
Posted: May 13, 2014 (08:32 PM)

I wouldn't put it past them to make one an exclusive Nintendo Club reward.

I head spaceshit noises

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party.Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.