Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Modern Gaming > Nintendo Figurine Platform

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Germ
Posted: May 12, 2014 (09:34 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

During Nintendo's May 8th Financial Results Briefing, they announced the Nintendo Figurine Platform. This project will use the Wii U's built-in Near Field Communication (NFC) to allow plastic figurines of Nintendo characters to work with games for the platform. Nintendo also promised the figurines would work with the 3DS.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/04.html

It seems that this is Nintendo's answer to Skylanders and Disney Infinity. Personally, I think it is a great idea for Nintendo. What does everyone else think?

Finally! A signature!

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: May 12, 2014 (04:09 PM)

The technology is there, they might as well use it. And Nintendo figurines interest me way more than Skylanders.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: May 12, 2014 (11:55 PM)

Not exactly my thing, but it sounds like something that could possibly work with the Nintendo base. I mean, given the success of games like Pokemon where you catch 'em all and how people absolutely flip out every time a new Smash Bros. character is introduced, I can see this working.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Germ
Posted: May 13, 2014 (07:24 AM)

As soon as Skylanders came out, I immediately thought of Pokemon. It probably would not be practical to make a large portion of the Pokemon that exist into figurines, but maybe they would have certain ones that could only be attained through purchasing a figure? Then again, I think that would certainly lead to backlash.

Still, there has to be a good Pokemon implementation somewhere, and even if there is not, the ability to move other figures between games and platforms is pretty exciting.

Finally! A signature!

board icon
Posted: May 13, 2014 (07:32 PM)

I wouldn't put it past them to make one an exclusive Nintendo Club reward.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: January 07, 2017 (05:09 PM)

Interesting reading this as the amiibo craze happened, then it dropped off again. I... may have purchased too many of these.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 07, 2017 (09:10 PM)

I currently have 15 amiibo, not counting the 2 that came with my Animal Crossing game on Wii U. I got my most recent one in December, which is a 30th anniversary Zelda one (Link in retro style, to go with my Mario in retro style that I purchased previously). I haven't paid more than retail price for any of them, or purchased from any source other than a standard retailer. I'm missing only one that I'd especially like to have: the Duck Hunt dog. I'm afraid that to fix that, I'll have to finally cave and buy one on eBay or whatever... but that can wait until I actually have money.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: scrapbuks
Posted: April 27, 2017 (06:31 AM)

I still want Nintendo's Pokemon

my so-called gaming blog: beergincandiesnotincluded.blogspot.com

board icon
Author: hastypixels
Posted: April 05, 2018 (01:25 PM)

It kills me that now the craze has settled into little more than figurine collectables instead of the interactive fantasy we were promised, I decide I want in.

I still want in. I did buy more than a few Skylanders, and actually don't regret that at all. Now if I can just find the ones I actually want.

Gonna be a thing.

Look, the only time I'm not wrong is when I'm right, so...

board icon
Author: kyp772299
Posted: May 25, 2020 (02:31 AM)

Haha!

something <

board icon
Posted: May 25, 2020 (02:57 PM)

I like that my Smash Bros. comment still holds up today.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.