Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > dagoss's Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES review

This thread is in response to a review for Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 17, 2008 (11:36 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Sweet review! I do have to get this game sometime. Like whenever I get through the horrifically huge cache of PS2 RPGs that I'm halfway (give or take) through. Wouldn't do to just add another brick to that wall.....

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 17, 2008 (03:32 PM)

I would recommend picking it up sooner rather than later, Overdrive. There are some games where it's safe to wait until you've completed your backlog, then to pick up whatever you've missed on the cheap. RPGs, however (and particularly most releases from Atlus or NIS America) aren't such an occasion.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: September 17, 2008 (04:24 PM)

Thank you very much!

You should probably get it now and tuck it away somewhere -- though FES seems to be one of the more plentiful Atlus RPGs. I wouldn't want to risk it though.

Random note: The fan translation of Innocent Sin is almost complete.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 17, 2008 (09:12 PM)

Haha. This kind of thing is why I'm totally in love dagoss...'s work.

It's amusing in all the right places and nothing feels overly done or irrelevant. I will say that I was a bit confused by the intro, but only because I'm unfamiliar with the series, and you do a good job explaining it later, anyway. It's informative, exciting, and made me chuckle in places. It describes how the game takes the old and does something (completely) new.

And that conclusion was something else. XD Like, we won't even go there. Wow.

Anyway, from what I gathered from the review (which I didn't know earlier about the game), you actually act out a typical high school life with atypical supernatural undertones? This is very interesting to me. I'll definitely have to check this out sometime.

Also, is it really high school or college? It seems awfully mature for high school... but then again, it was originally made in Japan... and they're education system might be different.

Anyway, yeah. This was an excellent review. Shame you've been knocked out of the bracket comp... this would've been a great one.

I did catch a few typos, though.

also know as the Square-Enix paradigm)

"known"

who never removes his portal music player.

Portable? Unless you wanted that as is. >_>

By becoming closer to a specific character, you become close to personae of that type

Closer sounds better to me.

Hm... As a sidenote, do you check your HG mail at all? That might be important later.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: September 17, 2008 (10:22 PM)

I missed Persona 3 before somebody flipped the rare switch, the game everybody was talking about suddenly vanished everywhere, then reappeared on eBay starting at double its normal purchase price.

When FES hit, I made sure to grab it before that cycle happens again. Doubt I'll get around to it while any of us still have hair.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 17, 2008 (10:57 PM)

You sadden me, sash. I posted my Persona 3 review a week ahead of its release, since the game was delayed due to the packaging error and I had already posted my review by the time that occurred. Didn't you read it?! :-(

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: September 18, 2008 (05:24 AM)

Anyway, from what I gathered from the review (which I didn't know earlier about the game), you actually act out a typical high school life with atypical supernatural undertones? ... Also, is it really high school or college? It seems awfully mature for high school... but then again, it was originally made in Japan... and they're education system might be different.

Yeah, it's really entrenched in the whole Japanese school culture thing. It is shamelessly Japanese -- people go out for noodles, your history teacher goes on and on about feudal Japan, everyone uses honorifics, etc. Monday through Saturday you need to go to school, and every day has a set pattern that never repeats itself (i.e. you'll never hear the same lecture twice, you'll never never hang out with someone and have them say the same things they said last time, etc). And of course the dungeon is at night -- but you don't need to go every. In fact, you shouldn't go every night, otherwise you'll have no time to study! It sounds really strange on paper, but the two gameplay styles work in perfect tandem.

Hm... As a sidenote, do you check your HG mail at all? That might be important later.

I do, despite not receiving any new mail since July 9th.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: September 18, 2008 (08:49 AM)

Ah, wow. That sounds really cool. Brilliant, even, from the sound of it. Wish I had more time to check things out like this, but oh well.

Anyway, check your mail, then. I decided to tell you about it now while it's still early.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 18, 2008 (09:49 AM)

Might have to make a run to the closest gaming store, then. Like Sash, it might be forever until I get to it, but at least I'll have it!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: September 18, 2008 (11:15 AM)

You sadden me, sash. I posted my Persona 3 review a week ahead of its release, since the game was delayed due to the packaging error and I had already posted my review by the time that occurred. Didn't you read it?! :-(

2008 and indeed part of 2007 has been a work-induced blur. I will read it, though. In fact I will read it before I try the game - not that that says much.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: September 18, 2008 (01:50 PM)

Atlus makes good games, and the Megami tensei Saga is certainly at it's top. I still remember Persona II:Eternal Punishment. I think in Innocent Sin you get to punch Hitler in the face. It was unique, it was different. I hope that this one will be the same. Judging by your review it will.

Nocturne is another great game for the dungeon crawling obsessed ones that like the universe. Me, I still need to work my way through the Digital Devil sagas first.

board icon
Posted: September 18, 2008 (10:29 PM)

I think in Innocent Sin you get to punch Hitler in the face.

You can do that in the PC adventure of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. You die if you do, but you can.

board icon
Posted: September 19, 2008 (01:50 AM)

Now I must post this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS_4RvPvTS0

board icon
Posted: September 19, 2008 (07:16 AM)

Haha. Wow. That's a bit.. out there.

I really need to play these games...

Anyway, did you get my mail? If not, I probably typed your name in wrong... I really don't like being left hanging like that, though.

If you thought anything I said in there or in this topic was creepy or something (if that's kept you from answering), it really wasn't meant to be. I'm just kidding when I say goofy things, anyway.

Otherwise I'll just assume you're busy and/or thinking about it before responding. It's not like we're pressed for time now or anything.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.