Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Ben's Spelunky review

This thread is in response to a review for Spelunky on the Miscellaneous. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 23, 2014 (08:11 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I've found a typo - There's a extended bonus, gruelling level inside a gigantic worm, in which lies an extremely rare instant-kill knife

The order of words is a little awkward, too. Perhaps There's a gruelling extended bonus level inside a gigantic worm... or some such might work better? And it eliminates your typo!

This, though, is a great review, dealing as much with the game as justifying sense of obsession some games seem to curse you with. I guess you'll have to retire your bio now and employ "used to fumble lucky wins on FIFA" instead.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Ben
Posted: March 23, 2014 (09:10 AM)

Thanks for reading/subbing, and good spot there with the typo! I've used your suggested rewording, because it's (annoyingly!) better than what I had.

I was a bit worried I went into too much detail in places, so I'm glad you liked the review. You're right, my bio needs updating now. I'm thinking... "gets kicks from beating Gary at FIFA".

board icon
Author: pickhut
Posted: March 24, 2014 (02:13 AM)

I have a pretty good idea of how hard and silly the game is based on your review, so I didn't think you went overboard with the details. As EmP said, it's definitely a solid read.

Wonder if this is the same Derek Yu that used to make submissions to the Video Game Museum site, back when I used to post regularly waaaaay back on their message boards? Well... until I was shunned and almost banned for what I thought was a harmless joke >_>. Anyway, it's good seeing him succeed with games such as Spelunky, if it is him.

I head spaceshit noises

board icon
Author: Ben
Posted: March 24, 2014 (03:48 PM)

Thanks! I appreciate the comments, and I'm happy the review worked for you as well.

I'm not very familiar with Video Game Museum, but Yu also designed Aquaria - another indie title.

Site Policies & Ethics | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Spelunky is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Spelunky, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.