Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > jerec's Gone Home review

This thread is in response to a review for Gone Home on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: February 19, 2014 (01:00 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I had the thought as I played through the game that if the same story were presented as a Lifetime movie and offered to many of the people who adore it when they encounter it in game form, they would pull away in disgust or, at the very least, disinterest. Gone Home is exciting in large part because it's an effort to expand the boundaries that hold games back from occasionally trying the brave things they otherwise might. I also felt that the "originality" is overly hyped, since it actually shares a lot in common with any number of classic adventure titles (though the less obfuscated puzzles and the lack of inventory management woes were welcome here). I clearly liked Gone Home a lot more than you did, judging by the difference in our reviews, but it's easy to sympathize with your standpoint to at least some extent and I would imagine it's one that a lot of people would share, were they ever enticed into downloading the art house game. Is that a term? I get the feeling that it will eventually need to be, if it isn't yet.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: February 19, 2014 (01:36 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I don't generally mind these games. Dear Esther was also fun for a couple of hours, but I'd probably score it around a 5 or 6 because I suppose value for money is an important factor for me. But this one is just a linear story broken up by touching different items around the house and opening a few locked doors. 90 mins and it was over and there's no real reason to go back.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.