Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition review

This thread is in response to a review for Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on the Xbox One. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 05, 2014 (01:51 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Appreciate the nod – thanks!

I must admit I raised an eyebrow at this new-gen release – it did seem to come along way too early to really justify, especially considering it’s just a spit shine and one more optional tomb.

I think you took the right approach here in not providing a brand new review of the title but spending a lot of your time talking about what this edition does differently, and how it’s not that big a deal. There’s a few things we don’t agree on (I loved that water tumble stage mainly because of the sharp-pole-through-your-throat death if you screwed it up, and honestly believe TR’s auto cover system made manual cover in stuff like Uncharted obsolete overnight) but you were completely right to skim over it; anyone interested in Tomb Raider already knows all the ins and out and, more likely, has long since picked up the slightly less pretty version for a fraction of the price this one asks. But! At the same time, you’ve still sold it as the better version of the game while keeping your reservations public.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: February 05, 2014 (03:39 AM)

Yeah, this review helped clear up some questions (though there's no danger of me buying it, I haven't yet joined the "new-gen"). I just got done playing this to 100% on my PS3 a couple of months ago and it was an absolutely fantastic experience. But it's way too soon for me to want to replay it, and it seems like there really isn't much reason to. Maybe they wanted to put this one on the new consoles so people could have a collection when they do the sequels (which I am interested in playing).

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: February 05, 2014 (11:13 AM)

Thanks for reading! Yeah, I think I sort of went in with the intention of this review being a companion piece of sorts to the other reviews on this site, hence why I focused on the reissue improvements and a couple of grating flaws with the core game that no one else seemed irked by. I do still wholeheartedly recommend the game, in one format or another, so I hope that came through for anyone who hasn't played it yet.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.