Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 review

This thread is in response to a review for Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: February 01, 2014 (07:11 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This does sound pretty awful. It always amazes me how developers sometimes think that releasing a new edition of it will fix everything when it really doesn't. I guess you can't blame them for trying, though. I'm sure there are plenty of cases where it actually proves to save the game in the end.

Who exactly is Ibn Battuta anyway?

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: February 01, 2014 (04:27 PM)

...didn't you major in history? Another success for the American educational system!

Short version: Ibn Battuta was a 14th century Muslim explorer who decided one day he was going to find Mecca, then buggered off for sixty years and went more or less to every place on the planet. He wrote his memoirs which was published into a book you can still purchase today from all good bookstores, some bad ones as well, and all those novel download sites you hip kids use. It's called Journey and has nothing to do with the game of the same name. Though there is a game loosely based on his tale in the same way the first Uncharted is based on Marco Polo. This one's called Unearthed and, look at that, we've just gone full circle.

Personally, I'd earmark him as a traveler rather than an explorer, but this makes a certain demographic very, very angry. Get over it, certain demographic: he discovered exactly nothing and just bummed around fully fledged civilization for half a century. Then someone locked him in a jail. and, oh, he was a king for a few and married a boatload of woman.

There's a lot of history wrapped up in Ibn Battuta's travels. It's quite an interesting tale. Unearthed is still rubbish.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: February 02, 2014 (07:12 AM)

Heh. I honestly never learned about him in school. When I studied history, I focused more on Medieval Europe and Colonial America (including pirates!). I also studied Spain, but not in History. Mainly in my Spanish classes, and then it was more culture than history, so we never really covered this person. :/ Oh well. Does sound interesting. Might check the book out sometime. Though, somehow I think I'd rather read about Sir Richard Burton.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.