Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week Dec. 8 - 14

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: January 01, 2014 (01:23 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Here we are in the new year, reading an old Review of the Week.

I thought this would be a quick and easy topic because there were only a few games. It tuned out to be the hardest I've ever judged, because all of the games presented didn't offer the best material for the circumstances. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying this week's offerings were terrible--quite the opposite, actually. What I am saying is that it's difficult to judge reviews of games that are 1) mediocre, 2) puzzle games, 3) rhythm games, or 4) modernized ports. All this week needed was a compilation. Regardless, I think I've figured out which reviews walk away with bronze, silver, and gold this week.

THIRD PLACE
Peggle 2 - Xbox One - honestgamer
This isn't the most interesting review you've written, but it's far from completely dull. It reads very fluidly, is graciously detailed, and doesn't feel overly dry or technical. I also loved the closing lines:

"It probably should be noted, though, that it’s best to steer clear if you have it in for rainbows, unicorns and chirping birds. There are a lot of them here, and they might just drive you insane…"

SECOND PLACE
Montague's Mount - PC - EmP
The great thing about this review is that it has the EmP touch, and it's quite an engaging read. I love your descriptions regarding the game's "anti-beauty" especially. Also, your argument about backtracking is pretty solid. The only damning thing here is your uncertainty about how you feel. It's kind of a vague stance, but at the same time I know what you mean. That's how I felt about BEEP! and a handful of other obscure games I've played.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
3D Space Harrier - 3DS - Roto13
What was it about this review that did it for me? You mentioned everything any fan of Space Harrier (i.e. me) would want to hear about a 3DS port. Seriously, I was trying not to spend money on any 3D Sega games--regardless of how badly I wanted some of them--and you've made a very solid case for why I should buy this one by detailing its drool-worthy features. I mean, after reading this, I kind of envisioned you saying:

"So, Joe, are you still thinking of putting this one off?"

"Uh well-"

"Then you're stupid, and my review proves that."

It's also a very lean, efficient review, and a quick and enjoyable read. Great work!

---

One thing I should point out in Roto's Super Hang-on review:

"While 3D Super Out-Run doesn't go so far as offering..."

That threw me off when I was reading.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 01, 2014 (02:49 AM)

Thanks for the kind words! I've reviewed hundreds of games, and I've discovered an inescapable truth: there is absolutely no genre that is more difficult to review than the puzzle genre. The fact that you weren't bored out of your gourd tells me I did a fantastic job. :-D

Congrats to my worthy competition, and especially Rhody with his win!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: January 01, 2014 (05:55 AM)

Thanks for that, Joe. I'd loved to have been more certain on how I felt about Montague's Mount, but that unfortunate would have meant being more certain on how I felt about Montague's Mount. Which I wasn't. It's a pickle.

Congrats to Jason for coming out of a tricky review well, and to Roto for doing a very solid job working through all of SEGA's re-releases.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.