Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week: October 20 - 26

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: December 23, 2013 (11:59 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

With this ROTW out of the way, my first catch-up topic is now completed. I can work on catching up the other ROTWs (or getting some other folks to help cover them), hopefully with a little help.

CJ was going to take this week, but either forgot or is busy. No biggie. I know EmP volunteered to have this one finished, but I think it's best to just have it behind us. So, without further ado...

THIRD PLACE
Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness - PlayStation 3 - elkayji
This was a mechanically solid review throughout. It flowed very well, was incredibly informative, and didn't rely on the reader having played prior Disgaea games. My only complaint is that it needed a bit of sprucing up. It was a pretty informal review, without much spice. Still, it's a solid write-up, and gets the job done just fine!

SECOND PLACE
The Stanley Parable - PC - mrmiyamoto
I think this is my favorite review of yours, so far. It's very well written, flows beautifully, and doesn't make this game out to be a mind-bending masterpiece, like a number of other reviews of this game. I like especially that you basically mention that The Stanley Parable is yet another one of those minimally interactive, possibly pretentious games, but that it actually gets the concept right. Hell, I don't even like games like this, and I'm sold on it now. Most of all, thank you for the lack of hyperboles. Games like these seem to draw them out of people.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
Atom Zombie Smasher - PC - pickhut
You covered this game masterfully! You touched on all of the right components without reading too technically, without descending into hyperboles, and while giving great details and examples. You described this game well enough that I feel I've played it (and really want to now), but the point you make at the end was precisely what needed to be said about this game. The visuals may be simple or antiquated, but the mechanics are what matter the most. You essentially took that tired old saying about gameplay being the most important part of the game and made it seem less obvious. This review was a pleasure to read, and has resulted in AZS's appearance on my Steam wishlist.

---

That's all for now. I just have to burn a couple of hours before the next Steam flash sale comes up. C'mon baby! Daddy wants a super-cheap copy of Monaco: What's Yours is Mine, MirrorMoon EP, or Magical Diary!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 24, 2013 (02:32 AM)

I was half-way though this, but I'll just convert my workings into delicious feedback topics later on.

Solid week; I'd like to echo the praise for the Stanley Pariable review, a bloody difficult game to cover indeed.

Was Joe's version in the order I would have put it in? No one will ever know ever. Bwahaha.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: December 24, 2013 (02:15 PM)

Hey, thanks for the RotW! It was a difficult review to write, because I was concerned I was explaining way too much, so I'm glad you liked it enough to want to play the game now. Good luck with the sound issue, if you ever do. >_>

Congrats to mrmiyamoto and elkyaji on their reviews, as well. They're good reads.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.