Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Montague's Mount review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: December 13, 2013 (09:35 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Backtracking in a video game is one thing, but having it be with a slow character sounds absolutely dreadful for me.

Is it a bad thing that I automatically thought of Dear Esther when I saw the images? I dunno, every time I see images of a first-person non-shooter on an island, that's always the first thought in my mind...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 14, 2013 (03:20 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It has a very strong Dear Esther vibe but it's more interactive because there's puzzles to solve, so wandering around is only half of it. Alas, those puzzles almost all involve backtracking. Slowly.

I don't generally mind backtracking when it's done well, like returning to areas you now have the ability to delve further into such as Metriod or the original Res Evils. That always came with a sense of foreboding. But Mount's backtracking is in place of better thought out obstacles, and that's pretty damning.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.