Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: October 6 - 12

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 24, 2013 (12:50 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It's over a month late, but here it is! I wanted to have this out a couple of weeks ago, but HG, RoG, and my blog have been keeping me busy. I still have a reader review for Uncharted I'm currently sitting on as well, hopefully due out soon.

Anyway...

THIRD PLACE
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure - 3DS - darkstarripclaw
What I like about this review is that it tells me pretty much everything I need to know about the game. My main qualm with it is that it could stand some tightening throughout. There are a lot of repeated phrases and several statements that could be reduced down. Other than that, it's a good right up that tells the audience precisely what they're getting into.

SECOND PLACE
Home - PC - pickhut
Apart from a couple of typos ('affect' instead of 'effect'), this is a very well done review. Having played the game, I know exactly what you're talking about. You do great job of balancing your arguments, which backs up your 5/10 rating--a difficult feat to accomplish. I think I liked your descriptions of disappointment more than the first half (not because the first half wasn't well written or anything), probably because they're more in line with what I feel about the game. Anyway, you do a great job of describing the game and telling us why it's mediocre.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK
X-Men Legends II - PlayStation 2 - overdrive
It would be difficult for me not to give this review the win. It's very detailed, gives the audience some background on the Apocalypse storyline, and fills us in with information regarding the game's retelling of it without bogging the audience down with too many details. I also liked the bit at the beginning, where you mentioned that so many games failed to do the source material justice (take that, Wolverine on NES!). Once again, another fantastic RPG review from OD!

---

Well, I've got some stuff I need to do, mostly trying to decide if I want to play Geneforge or Devil May Cry.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 25, 2013 (06:10 AM)

Woo-hoo! Thanks for the win and I'm glad you liked the review.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 25, 2013 (04:05 PM)

You sure it's not affect? I actually held off responding for a whole day to look for examples on the web... and now I'm just confused.

Well, regardless, thanks for enjoying the review. The game had a very good, basic idea that was fumbled during its second half when trying to explain stuff. It's something that really bugged me because horror movies and/or their sequels tend to do this a lot by explaining why some things are possible.

Good going to darkstarripclaw and congrats to overdrive!

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: November 25, 2013 (04:31 PM)

From what I understand, affect is mainly used as a noun when dealing with psychology or psychiatry. It basically means "the mood someone (usually a client or a patient) appears to exhibit."* I'm not sure if there's another noun usage for affect, but the definition above is what most articles I've read seem to indicate.

*I minored in psychology, so I used affect as a noun quite a bit in college.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.