Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: September 1 - 21

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 07, 2013 (05:25 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

As you can tell from the title, this topic combines reviews from several weeks long since passed, in an effort to provide a little competition. The usual rules otherwise apply, though: no one writer can place more than once, and I am not eligible (which winded up not mattering, since I didn't personally contribute anything during these weeks). So, let's get on with the results!

---

THIRD PLACE: Flicky (Genesis) by maboroshi

This was an interesting review and I liked the trivia at the start, since I'm not as well-versed on SEGA history as perhaps you might imagine. There was a lot of good info here, but I am extremely susceptible to comma splice fatigue and there was a lot of that here. Shaky grammar isn't the end of the world, but in this particular case, it was enough to knock you down to a third-place finish. Otherwise, I don't have a lot to say except that it was good to finally learn why Flicky was a significant piece of gaming history for some folks.

RUNNER UP: Sonic Mega Collection Plus by overdrive

As someone who has also felt the sting that comes from buying a promising collection of retro titles and then being greeted mostly by disappointment, I was able to enjoy this review quite a bit. A lot of SEGA's stuff was clearly enough to produce excitement back in the day, but it doesn't always hold up well now... though Sonic usually fares better than most. Your comments on the process of unlocking games were also good, and I felt that your organization was better than in the other review submitted during the period (which also felt rather perfunctory). A good effort all around, and--most importantly--sure to help others avoid a similar fate.

REVIEW OF THE WEEK(S): SEGA Rally 2 by pickhut

You submitted several reviews during the eligible period for this topic, but I liked this most because your enthusiasm came through clearly and you expertly guided me through the finer points of a racing game I likely never will play. Your enthusiasm was hard to resist, and it was a pleasure to read. I also did like your tower defense effort, and I hope you don't mind a recommendation: try Anomaly if you haven't yet. It's another reverse tower defense title--perhaps even inspiration for this one?--and is quite good. It's available on PC and Xbox both, I believe, and I think even Android devices.

---

Thanks to those of you who contributed great content during this lean period. I hope we'll have a lot more competition in future topics as we move forward, but you are all heroes for keeping things going in this otherwise dead period. It was great reading about these games and learning things along the way. Keep it up!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: November 08, 2013 (12:09 AM)

Thanks for the RotW pick, Venter. I'm glad I managed to convey my thoughts in the review clearly for you, considering I had a small timeframe to write it and submit it in time for 9/9. I enjoyed the game so much that I bought a second copy for this review, since my original disc is kinda weird, freezing up every 10 minutes. I swore I mentioned that in the review... but I guess not.

Congrats, too, to Overdrive and Maboroshi for their solid reviews and filling in the gap for a mostly lean month. And I just noticed all reviews placed happened to be for Sega games, as well. Huh.

Edit: oh! I've heard of Anomaly, and I never knew it was a tower defense game. For some reason, I just figured it was yet another first-person war shooter. Might have to try it sometime now.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 08, 2013 (05:36 AM)

Congrats to Pick, and well played OD and Maboroshi.

I never actually got around to playing SEGA Rally 2. I could never decide if I actually enjoyed the first one or not, despite ploughing hours into the game. I'd like to think I'll go back one day to decide one way or the other, but I'm probably kidding myself.

Thanks and good work for getting this up, Jason.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 08, 2013 (06:23 PM)

A placement!

And congrats to Pick for having the audacity to finish in front of me.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.