Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut review

This thread is in response to a review for Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Linkamoto
Posted: November 03, 2013 (04:25 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hahaha, freaking awesome review, sir! This part literally me laugh out loud:

"Mr Stuart, for instance, is wheeled around town in an antique wheelchair by his distant PA, who only speaks in pretentious riddles. He doesn’t speak much himself – the gas mask he wears tends to dissuade him."

I also really dug the final portions of the review, where you basically say this a lovable clusterbomb mess, but buy it--or...don't? Haha. I loved the original for the very reasons you detailed here, but am seriously torn on whether I should purchase this one. Is there even anything actually new, per se?

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 03, 2013 (05:46 AM)

That might be the quickest feedback thread ever created -- thanks!

See, I want people to play this game because I can guarantee there are bits where you can't help but wear a huge grin on your face. You can, if you want, spend hours just looking into people's windows, watching them iron shirts or watch TV. Or just listen to York and Zack talk about the relationship behind Tom & Jerry, or why Tremors should have won an Oscar. The bloody game is so creative and off beat, it';s hard to stay angry at it when the awful horror sections start, and the game because a bad third person shooter with awkward quick time events.

As for if there's anything new, as far as I could see, it's a straight port of the PS3 version, which, itself, had a few new missions and cut scenes added in, but was more about cleaning up the game's control scheme, which is only half did. If you stumbled through either console version, the PC port only offers you more of the same but without the added stability of a control pad.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 03, 2013 (07:27 AM)

I've never had any real desire to play this game, but from what I've read here, it at least seems to have elements of being a fun send-up of sandbox games, with the whole "sit around and watch people living mundane home lives" feature you were talking about. That at least would be worth some entertainment.

board icon
Author: Linkamoto
Posted: November 03, 2013 (09:19 AM)

Well, I played the original game for 360. The one released years back. It was the best worst game I've played.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 03, 2013 (09:48 AM)

OD: Reluctant though I am to recommend this game for the various issues I discussed, you should be playing it.

Moto: Reluctant though I am to advise people to stay away from this game due to my obviously conflicted love for the title, if you've played the 360 version, there's not enough to the DC's edition to warrant a replay. If you ever feel like a replay though, this is totally the way to go.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.