Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Doom review

This thread is in response to a review for Doom on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Linkamoto
Posted: October 28, 2013 (03:43 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Incredible. I didn't even know they ported this to SNES, and the system was my favorite as a kid. Then again, I was a kid, and I've forgotten a lot of things through the years. Anyways, while *I* understand everything you're talking about in this review, you approached it as if every single reader has played the original.

While it's likely that anyone reading it probably has, I still think at least a cursory paragraph explaining premise would have been nice. Otherwise, great review. It's really a shame how bad it turned out. Say--is this by chance a rare game at all? I still can't believe I never knew this was ported. Odd.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 28, 2013 (05:38 AM)

It's always nice to see other people suffering through horrible ports that I've suffered through.

board icon
Author: JedPress
Posted: October 28, 2013 (06:56 AM)

I bought this red cartridge from a pawn shop when I was a teenager. I had never played Doom on the PC, so I didn't know any better. Believe it or not, I loved this port as an introduction. Never felt that I took damage unfairly, though I disliked the lack of a save feature. It's crazy that the SNES version has the best music of the bunch.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: October 28, 2013 (07:05 AM)

LOL are u kidding? this review is bad. Doom is amazeing. DId the riter just start playing FPS games with COD? LOL get a clue.

board icon
Author: Germ
Posted: October 28, 2013 (10:01 AM)

The writer likes Doom though, he linked to a positive review in the first paragraph. This is a review of the SNES port.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 28, 2013 (10:28 AM)

Not a low enough score.

DID YOU KNOW that to save memory space, SNES Doom didn't bother giving enemies backs. This means, whatever you do, they are always, always facing you. Couldn't make it up.

board icon
Author: ThoughtFool1
Posted: October 28, 2013 (11:18 AM)

I think Ken Masters was being facetious

On the note of the review...interesting. I never played the SNES port...suppose I should be glad I didn't.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Germ
Posted: October 28, 2013 (11:29 AM)

Oh. Whoops! Sorry

board icon
Posted: October 28, 2013 (12:37 PM)

I DID NOT KNOW that, Emp. Just another hilarious tidbit about this game.

I remember when I reviewed it, it didn't take long to decide the game was just a pure mess, so I started skipping around scenarios to play as much as possible before starting to review it and did find out that due to the horrible visuals, it was possible to lose up to 60% of your life one bullet at a time from the weakest soldier if you can't actually see where the bastard is until you're right on top of him.

And therefore, the greatest thing about SNESDoom is the horrible paranoid thought I had about what if real life was like this game and an intruder was in your living room with you...but you couldn't see him because in this situation he's cloaked in a way where you can't see him unless you're within 18 inches of him.

There's more entertainment value in that thought than in this port of the game.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 28, 2013 (10:39 PM)

Miyamoto: Yeah, I might add a little explanation piece in there. Thanks!

OD: You might be onto something there. Unfortunately, exploring that concept through an FPS on SNES was probably not the best idea. That now makes me wonder how Duke Nukem would have turned out on SNES...

Jed: Yeah, this port did serve a purpose at one time, as I indicated. Doom was not as accessible in the '90s as it is now, but these days you can find it on just about any digital marketplace for any platform at a pretty cheap price. SNES Doom is unnecessary these days. That being said, if someone bought the SNES version once upon a time, I don't really blame them. I, too, wanted to pick up both this game and SNES Wolfenstein at one point, mainly because my family didn't own a PC until I was well into high school (sadly, the thing could barely run Doom, and even getting it to run Wolfenstein and Blake Stone was a pain).

Masters: Troll sucessful!

EmP: Interesting... And yet not at all surprising.

Anyway, to all, thanks for reading!

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: October 29, 2013 (03:18 AM)

I remember journalists being very impressed at the time. No one thought the SNES was capable of Doom. Personally I bought it and played it to death. It's still my most-played version of Doom. My family didn't have a PC so I'd resigned myself to never being able to play the famed Doom.

I always really liked it. I no point of comparison except the 32X version that my brother picked up, and I felt like the SNES version was better. In comparison to other SNES games, this port of Doom was something refreshing and exciting.

Now,of course, there's no point in playing it. Even the Game Boy Advance version of Doom is at least the equal of the SNES port, and as you said, anyone with a 360 or a PS3 can get a pretty definitive version of the game. SNES Doom doesn't stand up very well I suppose, but it's still MY Doom.

board icon
Posted: October 29, 2013 (10:30 AM)

SNES Wolfenstein didn't have the same problems that SNES Doom did. I thought part of that problem was based on just how detailed they made the graphics to the point where the engine started cracking and crumbling the instant you started moving. Because when I first started it up, I was amazed at how the hardware handled Doom...until I actually started playing the stupid thing.

The problems SNES Wolfenstein had seemed to revolve more around being super-repetitive and boring (I think you only had 2-3 types of soldiers and those rat/dog things to fight) to where the ONLY fun stages were the later boss fights because they'd be in some room deep in their level and the second you got close, they'd be chasing you all over the place until you or they were dead.

AS A SIDE NOTE...based on what Sam said, I have to try the 32X version of Doom at some point, just to see how it is compared to the actual computer version which is the true way to play anything related to classic Doom/DII/Final Doom.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: October 29, 2013 (12:32 PM)

I thought the 32X port was pretty well done, myself.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: November 07, 2017 (09:13 AM)

I just stumbled across this last comment.

Oh, 2013 me. You crazy, optimistic fool....

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.