Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's DARK review

This thread is in response to a review for DARK on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 10, 2013 (01:52 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

True story: The guy who voices Eric, Doug Cockle, also voices the hero of The Witcher, and delivers everything in that exact same gravelly monotone (which is tiring because the game is, like, 50 hours long). I was actually in the middle of my playthrough of The Witcher when I took a break to play Dark and I was eager to finally get away from that damn voice. Then I heard Eric and was like, "Oh for Christ's sake."

Also, I love how the DJ in the club is always whining about how busy she is, when all she's doing is playing the same one damn song over and over.

Good review! I agree. It's not very good at all, but I've played much, much worse. The biggest problem with Dark, I feel, is that it pulls familiar elements together and doesn't integrate them with nearly the same finesse. Did you play Dishonored? The big mechanic in that game is the same short-range teleportation ability as in Dark, but it's way more intuitive, which makes Dark look all the worse in comparison.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 10, 2013 (08:24 PM)

I actually figured the DJ would be one of those characters that might actually do something useful, plot-wise, somewhere down the road, so I was kinda bummed that she was reduced to a in-passing mention late in the game.

I've never played Dishonored, but it's one of those games I would like to play due to good word of mouth, like your review on this site. And that sucks about the voice actor xD.

Thanks for the read!

board icon
Author: Linkamoto
Posted: October 29, 2013 (06:48 PM)

That's hilarious, Suskie!

Good review here, sir. I really respect the way you described things and, while docking points appropriately for the game's flaws, don't chastise it as being worthless. Often, a five rating from a reviewer would get nothing but venom, but when you think about it logically, the developers must have gotten HALF of the game right. And I think your review treats it as such. Very good descriptions of the gameplay here--I feel like I played it myself.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.