Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Site Announcements > Let's start planning a terrific 15-year anniversary bash, shall we?

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 01, 2013 (07:13 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Did you know that around 15 years have passed since I first sat down in front of a computer with plans to build the world's greatest gaming site? The exact date is lost to the mists of time (that sounds better than saying that I simply don't remember it, don't you think?), but it was sometime in my Fall semester as I first started attending community college, a few short months after I met the girl who eventually became my wife. Those were exciting times.

I'm reminiscing now because November 1, 2013 is as close as we'll probably get to a 15-year-anniversary date for HonestGamers, and I'd like to celebrate. Even though the site isn't the most successful on the Internet, even though we've seen more than our share of bickering, there's also a lot that I've been excited about through the years. We've published some great reviews and had some good discussions, and if you're seeing this post right now, there's a good chance that you were part of that exciting history. Therefore, I'm asking for your help to make sure that we celebrate the coming milestone in style.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but here's my proposal: this October, I start contacting anyone I can reach who previously contributed to the site and who we would like to hear from as part of a one-month bash, starting Nov. 1 and ending Nov. 30. I let those people know what the site has been up to lately, and I invite those people to post on the forum to let everyone know what they've been up to, and to contribute a brand new user review. The plan is that for their trouble, I will compensate them $10.

This is not a celebration that is meant to exclude any of you who never left, so my idea is that as a community we will get together and assemble a list of the top 50 most wanted participants. This thread is intended to serve as the starting point with that effort. Anyone is welcome to post in this thread with a list of the names that he or she would most like to see be involved--a dream list, if you will--and I will compile the results and that will be the list of people I try to invite.

We have all of August to assemble the list. Unless anything changes, I will compile the results on September 1 or shortly thereafter, then post that list and we can start figuring out how to contact everybody. I'm still in touch with a number of people, but others have definitely fallen off my radar. Maybe one of you is still in contact. We can figure all of that out once we have an actual list with which to work.

And like I said, this isn't all set in stone. I won't be able to compensate people if my personal finances return to the crapper, where they have been dwelling until just recently. However, this is the tentative plan I'm hoping to work from. No matter what, I'd like to call all of that talent together at once.

Why all at once? Because I believe that a milestone is a great time to bring people together. And if we get everyone back in place together, talking and sharing and contributing and reminiscing, there's a greater chance that some of those people will decide to stick around after the celebration. Reaching out individually on no particular schedule makes that outcome much less likely. We've had some great writers participating over the years, and I'd love to see some of them get involved with the site again.

So, what do you think? Sound good? If it does, start posting those names, people! And if you have other ideas or would like to contribute in some other way, let me know here or privately. Thanks!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: August 02, 2013 (10:11 AM)

This'd be very interesting--I can't give ideas for anyone who left, at least not off the top of my head, and probably not anyone anyone else wouldn't cover. But it'd be interesting to see what people are up to. As someone who is in and out myself, though, it's good to see this sort of milestone--for this site and for others I like to visit, but I don't visit often enough.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 03, 2013 (08:45 AM)

I wouldn't mind hearing what everyone is up to! Not sure about voting for a top 50 returns--can we get Howard Phillips in here?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 03, 2013 (08:50 AM)

This is an interesting idea.
I'd like to see Leroux, and Felix back. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

At least, these are the ones that I know haven't posted around here in ages. There are a few lurkers here that I'd like to see review again, too, (Masters, espiga), but I thought we were talking about those that had left completely.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: August 03, 2013 (03:35 PM)

I'd like to see a new review from Suskie for the occasion. I know that he's written recently anyway, but if we're picking *any* 50 people that we want, he'd be on my list!

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 04, 2013 (06:04 AM)

I'm glad you posted, Zig! You're on my list, too! =D

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: bigcj34
Posted: August 08, 2013 (02:51 PM)

I thought this was going to be a real-life meet-up for a second here. On that note, any UK users up for a meet-up? Don't know if these things have ever been proposed. Would be logistically trickier for US users, as the country is slightly larger.

Also, did Arkrex or Golden Vortex ever write for HG? They were a pretty industrious duo. If discoinferno84 ever did I'd love to have him on, but I doubt he did. He's on Thunderbolt though.

There three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: August 08, 2013 (06:38 PM)

Golden Vortex used to submit a lot of reviews for HG back in the day, but the last time he posted was back in 2009. Here's his list.

Arkrex submitted some reviews, too.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 09, 2013 (08:20 PM)

I'd like to see a new review from Suskie for the occasion. I know that he's written recently anyway, but if we're picking *any* 50 people that we want, he'd be on my list!

D'awwwwww. You'd be on my list, too, Zig :)

And welcome back, CJ. Disco has submitted quite a few reviews here, though it's been a while.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: bigcj34
Posted: August 11, 2013 (05:39 PM)

Welcome back? Jeez, I come and go far too much. University was probably the biggest cause of my hiatuses.

There three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't.

board icon
Author: goatx3
Posted: August 31, 2014 (08:00 AM)

i want joe_roll to come back.

just to talk to me, not to write a review.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.