Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW for June 16-22 -- It's NEGATIVE NES week! CELEBRATE!!!!!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 27, 2013 (10:52 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Kind of a brief edition. Having a busy week, so not much time for anything. Well except for drinking at the local race track all weekend, so I figured I better get this finished before then!

THIRD: Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (NES) by AlphaNerd

There is a theme this week, in that all three reviews I liked best were all bashes of bad games! A real NEGATIVE NES week for us all! This one narrowly beat out a couple others (in particular, BigCJ's Half-Life 2) because I related to this one (except for the part where you liked this game at one time). Funny story. I borrowed this from a friend who couldn't beat it and he was shocked when I beat it in one night. Because I spammed the jump kick through the entire thing since that was the one damn thing that worked. You touch on that and all sorts of other things I remember about this crappy game and do so in fine fashion, especially with little touches as the hilarious "Bimmy" botch.

SECOND: Formation Z (NES) by EmP

Whoa, looks like you've entered an "I'll suffer so you don't have to" phase of reviewing with this one and the one you have in the queue right now. Your first paragraph says it all so succinctly. I mean a person wouldn't have to read another word of this review and they'd know everything about this short, simple and painfully frustrating game. But the rest is really good, too, just illustrating how all this frustration manifests itself with horribly cheap moments like how having too little energy means death when the water or dark void come.

CHAMPION: Home Alone (NES) by JoeTheDestroyer

This review was just great, as it illustrates the utter pointlessness of this game so well. 20 minutes of simply dodging guys while setting simple traps. Where the cheapness gets annoying with things like the technical issues and, like you said, things like a guy walking right through a trap to get you. I think this game's worth was summed up best with your lines about how it's a game that makes you not play it to do well, as finding a safe spot to simply wait is as good a way to stay alive than actually, you know, playing. Man, that's just…something…

And that's that for this week! Hopefully this isn't the last NEGATIVE NES week, as they are the best!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: June 27, 2013 (11:13 PM)

Baaaaahaharharharharhar! I am champeen!

Thank you, and congrats to the placers as well. Also, thank you OD for having this topic out.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 29, 2013 (10:03 AM)

Blirgh. The review before these two was Hudson Hawk, leaving me to believe there's no such things as a good NES game. Let's see if time changes this.

SPOILERS: no.

Thanks for the mention, and well played to Joe for having a game almost as bad as mine.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.