Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW -- May 26 to June 1, 2013

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 06, 2013 (12:35 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Four people with six reviews total for this RotW. Would be five and eight, but two of the reviews submitted for this week were mine. Talk about bad luck on my part, eh?

CONTESTANT ONE: Devil World (NES) by Roto13

I liked this most of your two reviews because there were some sly little moments in there, such as assuming the cute dragon was genocidal and how the game is Pac-Man, but with more Satan. A strong description of a simple, old game from that era in which console games were either original creations or ports of arcade games, but most were simple and essentially enhanced versions of stuff guys like me played on the old Atari. Games like that can be hard to review because they're so threadbare, so little touches like the humor mentioned above go a long way towards convincing a person to stick around for the entire read.

CONTESTANT TWO: Rad Racer (NES) by LBD_Nytetrayn

I was kind of looking forward to reading this review for the sole reason that, back in my youth, when I was moving from Atari to Nintendo, I remember seeing this game in magazines and thinking that in comparison to my Atari Pole Position, the future of gaming had arrived. But I never played this one, as I wound up getting Formula One Built to Win instead. You did a good job of explaining the basics of the game and how it works. Can't say I'm surprised by the time-attack style or the brutal difficulty as far as car control and such goes, as this was an old game, but it's still kind of neat to see how this game really works and how it falls short of the "super cool" pedestal I put it on when I first saw it. Good review that brought back some memories.

CONTESTANT THREE: Resident Evil: Revelations (360) by Suskie

Very vivid review of this game where I can feel the conflicting vibes. On one hand, actually having scary moments in an RE game feels like a neat novelty, considering how the closest to scary that series has been in a while is the psychological "you're alone in a different country where everything wants to kill you except the guys who sell you weaponry" vibe of 4, which then disappeared in 5 when you got a competent partner. On the other hand, the excessively long boss fights seem frustrating and that part with Chris going to the wrong ship, which is a twin of the right ship, just seems infuriating. Last paragraph was a gem, too.

CONTESTANT FOUR: Resident Evil: Revelations (360) by holdthephone

Yours and Suskie's reviews are great companions for each other. Especially when your intro is at heart a reworded version of his conclusion. You make your points in a bit different manner, though, as you do a really good job of showing how things that work in a lower-budget handheld setting just wind up falling a bit flat when being translated to the big screen. The whole "use scanner to find tool dropped by partner" bit is probably just as infuriating as Suskie's bit with Chris going to the wrong ship. The Raid mode sounds kind of neat, though.

The war for first place came down to the two RE reviews. Suskie was a bit more vivid with the descriptions, but HTP's included detail on the optional mode and really hit more on what appeared to me to be the most important point, which was the problem with going from handheld to console. The paragraph above the last picture just summed this thing up perfectly. Therefore he wins, I post this and we all move on with our lives. Good job, people, and I'll be back in a couple weeks! Or pass this off on someone else in a couple weeks, whichever works for me.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: June 06, 2013 (12:57 PM)

Nice layout, seems everyone got a good dose of feedback. Much appreciated!

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: June 11, 2013 (11:12 AM)

Thanks for the mention, OD. 'Grats to Holdthephone.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.