Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: Dec. 30, 2012 to Jan. 5, 2013

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: January 10, 2013 (11:31 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Five eligible reviews this week and one by me that's not eligible and stuff. Here we go; still a bit swamped at work, but things getting more manageable, but this still will be considered a late, no-frills edition. Such is life.

THIRD PLACE: Double Dragon Neon (360) by EmP

Nice review that really illustrates how nice it is when a company isn't simply happy to remake a nostalgic favorite, but does so in a way that adds a ton of personality and added fun to things. When you got into that part, this review really kicked it up a notch and made this game seem desirable to at least fiddle with for a little while. There wasn't much of anything over-the-top with the old DD games, so reading about how this one combines strong mechanics with, as you put it, "Bill-and-Ted" stuff is really intriguing.

SECOND PLACE: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) by holdthephone

I have to give you credit. You wrote a good review of FF XIII where you came to a different opinion on the game's overall quality than I have, but you posed your argument well enough to at least make me grudgingly admit you have a point. You took a lot of the stuff I didn't like (such as a large part of the game being linear character development) and made it sound more worthwhile than I personally got from it all. But you do so in a very convincing manner, exhibiting how the generic tropes that initially make up each one get deconstructed as the game goes on. I mean, I'm not changing my opinion on how much of the game was really pretty filler, but I can at least respect your feelings and applaud the way you presented them. I mean, after reading this, at least I wouldn't want to be the guy called on for the "counterpoint" section of the argument!

Some good stuff here, even if the number of reviews overall was small.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: January 10, 2013 (02:19 PM)

Definitely a good week of reviews.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: January 10, 2013 (02:39 PM)

Man, I wasn't expecting anything out of a positive FFXIII review! I appreciate you looking at it the way you did, looking past the disagreements and all. This made my day!

Awesome week of reviews, everyone.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: January 10, 2013 (04:54 PM)

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you for continuing to make HonestGamers such a valuable resource for people who love quality reviews!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: January 10, 2013 (09:24 PM)

Thanks, OD, and congrats to both Holdthephone and EmP.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.