Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Site Announcements > Google Custom Search has arrived on the site

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 01, 2012 (01:49 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I already posted about Disqus being added to the site, but I thought I'd also mention that I'm testing out Google custom search again.

This time, I'm paying an actual fee for a year's use of the service. In the past, it didn't work well because so much of the site wasn't indexed in Google, but that's no longer the case. The vast majority of game profiles, reviews, and news articles now show on Google and will come up in the search, to the point where Google is finally--as it should have been a long time ago--a better way to search the site than what I had coded.

If you search for a game title now, you'll find the most relevant results immediately. You'll see reviews and samples right on the results page, and you should also see related content that you might not have known existed. In other words, search has effectively been overhauled.

With my custom search engine, there were a number of games that wouldn't show up if you searched for them, even though they were in the database. There were problems that I couldn't fix with a number of the Assassin's Creed games, for instance. So while Google still isn't a perfect solution, I believe that it will be superior to the old option while encouraging casual users and community veterans alike to more fully explore the content that we have all produced together.

I hope that you'll let me know how the new search system works for you. It's not perfect yet and I may still be able to do some revision that improves it a bit, but so far I like what I'm seeing and hopefully you will too!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.