Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Sweet Home review

This thread is in response to a review for Sweet Home on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 31, 2012 (11:32 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Very strong review. Yeah, I kinda game'd the system, as well. Not with save/resets, but with spending lots and lots of time in areas where I could get exp without much risk, so I could run through those tougher areas without messing around more than necessary. Spend time in areas where friendly chaps such as the Maniac in one of those pics lives, so I could get through places like that hellish late-game part with the dopplegangers of your party with as little trouble as possible.

Do that and you can get through without losing anyone with ease, as long as you can make it through the early stages. That's where the game is toughest...when you're weak and one mistake can be fatal. You'll be dreading crossing those disposable planks because if one breaks, someone will be in trouble. And the rooms where spirits can steal away one guy, so your two-person party becomes two one-person parties...guh.

It's kind of like an old-school console JRPG answer to a game like Wizardry, where things are really tense and touch-and-go early on, but after you've gotten stronger, the difficulty largely fades as long as you play intelligently.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 31, 2012 (12:16 PM)

Extremely strong review for a game I've long been interested in. Question: if you lose a character, can you still beat the game?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 31, 2012 (01:41 PM)

Yes. There are special items scattered through that can serve as replacements for each character's essential item. Of course, that just makes juggling inventory more of a pain, but you can still win the game!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: October 31, 2012 (02:40 PM)

That's pretty cool; so it could be a REAL challenge going through with one character.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 31, 2012 (10:11 PM)

OD:
Thanks, man! Your leveling strategy was more or less what I did. Before attempting that, I was left wondering how the hell I was going to beat the game.

Zipp:
I think the least number of characters needed to beat the final boss is two, as you actually need to use four different items to beat her (a photo, a diary, a tool, and a coffin if memory serves).

I think if you wanted to boost the challenge factor, you could have each character acting alone and equipped with low level weapons.

One other tidbit: depending on who survives, there are multiple endings to the game as well. I've only seen the "good" ending, so I don't know what other ones exist. I guess I may have to go back one day and find out.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 31, 2012 (10:22 PM)

Also forgot my obligatory closing post:

Thus completes this year's month-long ramblings of horror-inspired nonsense. Tune in next year where I (might?) review Amneisa: The Dark Descent, Dead Space, and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

HG:
BloodRayne (GCN)
Clock Tower (PSX)
Dr. Chaos (NES)
Frankenstein: The Monster Returns (NES)
Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
Ghost Manor (Atari 2600)
Haunted House (Atari 2600)
Soul (Xbox 360)
Sweet Home (NES)
Zombie Nation (NES)
Zombie Shooter 2 (PC)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)

RoG:
Alan Wake (PC)
Cthulhu Saves the World (Xbox 360)
Darkness, The (PS3)
Doom (PC)
Escape from Bug Island (Wii)
Ghosts 'N Goblins (NES)
Ghouls 'N Ghosts (GEN)
Home (PC)
Larva Mortus (PC)
Shadowgate (NES)
Slender (PC)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Posted: October 31, 2012 (11:00 PM)

This is my favorite of your Halloween reviews, by the way.

I think I would be inclined to force myself not to use the save function as liberally as you have; only to increase the challenge and maintain the fear factor. I would have to find some way to limit myself, either by designating save rooms or by determining a set amount of time for each play session before I could save.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.