Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics 2 review

This thread is in response to a review for Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics 2 on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: October 31, 2012 (10:38 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I actually considered reviewing this a few weeks back, but decided to pass for something else, so this was a pleasant surprise to see! I haven't played this title in ages, so your descriptions really helped me remember some moments. I actually nearly forgot what the final moments of the game were like, so when you said there was a boss gauntlet, I was shocked. And yeah, the availability of more directions was StarTropics 2's best improvement, though, as you said, that didn't make the game any easier.

Good review! I've been itching to replay this recently, and I think your review helped in during so.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 31, 2012 (11:17 AM)

That's awesome news! Yeah, the only way the "move more directions" makes things easier is that you don't have to jump onto switch blocks simply to see if they're really switches or just decoys. Which is more of a convenience thing, unless you mistime jumps and land in water. Which I've done before. But for the most part, they negated any advantage you'd get from added mobility by giving enemies that same freedom, as the spread shot knights and a few other foes take advantage of. My least favorite foe was probably these magician-types in the seventh and eighth level that just wander around while dropping bombs that go off and fire in multiple directions. The randomness of their movement makes it hard to get a bead on them for more than 1-2 shots at a time and by getting in range to hit them, you're easily in the path of their shots. Or the gold knights with their shields, so you have to deal with their spread attack while trying to get behind them or at their side so you can actually hit them.

Other things that make this one easier than the first: NO instant death room in an dungeon. That was f-ing cruel in the first game when they put an death trap in the very first dungeon. Also, NO dark rooms where you have to use consumable items to get a brief moment of light. Those were definite improvements, as was the variety in locales. You just have to get to Chapter 3 without being too bored to continue, as Chapter 2 is boring as hell.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 31, 2012 (02:39 PM)

As a kid I couldn't get into this because it was so different from Startropics (which I loved) but I believe that now I would better be able to appreciate it.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.