Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Silent Hill review

This thread is in response to a review for Silent Hill on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 30, 2012 (09:58 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You speak well to me, EmP. I was one of those who came to it late. I have struggled with the graphics and, more so, with the ridiculous voice acting and even with the controls (that somehow feel more clunky than Resident Evil). I played through about half way before stopping—but there's more to this story! The reason I ultimately stopped was because I was asked to go into the hospital. Just couldn't do it. Too scared.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 30, 2012 (09:59 AM)

I loved this review. Does the game justice, as it probably would be tough for someone new to the series to get into because of how primitive it is...but for those of us who got on at the ground floor, it is one of the all-time great titles. The sense of foreboding dread is just awesome...and combined with the way that reality and unreality blend together so you don't know which is which just adds to the atmosphere.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 30, 2012 (04:29 PM)

Thank you kindly, both. That's another one ticked off my reviewing bucket list, and it seemed the right time of year to finally get my head down and write it.

Finish the game, Zipp. You big girl's blouse.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: October 30, 2012 (06:51 PM)

I am not enough blouse for a big girl.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 01, 2012 (10:37 AM)

Nevertheless, you should beat the game. You're such a quiter on games I bully you into playing -- you never beat Broken Sword (that I'm aware) so you can go ahead and beat this!

I've been playing a lot of Silent Hill this week, as my efforts on the site hopefully reflect, and the further I play into the series, the more I appreciate the first game. Sometimes, I don't even mind if it takes me three days to turn around.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: November 04, 2012 (12:47 AM)

I am definitely going to beat Alundra, which was either you or Rob who pushed me into that. Broken Sword was good but you were right about the new version. It held my hand so much that I quickly found myself bored.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 04, 2012 (06:47 AM)

Great review. I'm with Zipp in that I never got into the series when it first came out, and still haven't played it, but I intend to do so regardless. Just as I intend to play the original Resident Evil, even though that's probably aged even less well than this. Truly the Silent Hill franchise sounds like the true definition of horror, and to some degree, that idea appeals to me more than any other definition of horror. If that makes sense.

I guess it's for the same reason that when, in some games, you stumble across an enemy you can't kill, your only option is to run. And it was those enemies and those sequences I was always most terrified of. Something tells me that the whole Silent Hill franchise is like that, and the very idea of it fills me with dread, yet I look forward to it anyway.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: November 04, 2012 (08:28 PM)

WQ, play the gamecube Resident Evil Remake! That still holds up well.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.