Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's ActRaiser review

This thread is in response to a review for ActRaiser on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 26, 2012 (03:30 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Ah ha! I wondered when this would get reviewed by you, Rob (in fact I was thinking about it in the shower this morning—don't ask). I'd like to think I had a small part in inspiring this to happen. I'm pleased to see that we also agree on the game and have written fairly identical reviews (though I like how you handled the "kill all religion" aspect better).

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 26, 2012 (06:47 PM)

You know, Zipp, your review probably made me delay playing through this game completely for a while. Because I'd done the centaur stage and the first sim level and was like "Man, this sim stuff can get kind of dull with it being an automatic win and all!" and then read your review where you made that a specific focal point. So I knew I'd have to wait a while, so your review wasn't fresh in my mind and I'd wind up unintentionally copying points.

It was hard to keep that point out of my mind though, as the only sim stage that's remotely challenging is the very last one, since Northwall has two skull lairs and you have to wait until the dullards have invented the bridge-building ability to get to the second of them.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 26, 2012 (07:03 PM)

Oh, also, I just re-read your review and I seemed to remember we had different feelings on the part involving Vishnu-dude. The way I looked at it (going from the text, particularly at the end when the angel is telling you little stories about each land) was that the people were lured from you to the other god by a stranger who made promises. The angel said at the end that people are known for taking the easy-seeming path at times, which led me to believe that deity was more of a "tempter" who would trick them into abandoning you due to believing he was on their side, but would then prey on them or somehow make their lives worse. Or at least watch as their civilization falls into ruin because he's not gonna take the same active interest in their growth.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 27, 2012 (01:51 AM)

I think you kind've hit it on the head with the "false gods" thing. The American version makes it seem like a definite evil entity tricking people. But the original version was pretty much straight up "thou shalt not have false gods (AKA gods other than me)."

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.