Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Rob's RotW for Oct. 7-13

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: October 19, 2012 (01:14 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Another week, another RotW. Had some good reviews this week. And some quick, snap decisions by me.

The wondrous award winners are:

THIRD: Vampire Rain (360) by pickhut

Unlike those who have commented here, I have not heard of this game and it's reputation for being horrible. But I do see where you were coming from with your hypothesis that people were expected a fast-paced shooter and were completely thrown off when they got a stealth game where open combat leads to quick deaths. You do a good job pointing out how the game is at least solid when you play it like it's meant to be played and that it has some neat elements (like not being able to immediately tell the difference between vamps and humans). So now I can say I learned something I didn't know!

SECOND: Dishonored (360) by Suskie

Sadly, the winning game has nothing to do with vampires. That sucks… The review's really good, though, as it most wonderfully combines great writing and great informativeness. The line about how a game about killing to the point of the skull mask worn by the hero giving you options to NOT kill anything was a wonderful touch, as were the Deus Ex comparison and the flaws the game has with the horrible non-logical premise and bare-bones attempt at a story. With the conclusion tying things together by correctly stating that it's better to have a fun game that's bare-bones plot/story/development-wise than a high-budget cinematic game with shoddy play. Just an excellent review that hits on all the bases.

If you were the three of six entrants that didn't get listed above, DO NOT FEEL SHAME. Your reviews were good, too. They all were good. I had trouble picking three. It made my brain hurt. Hurt so bad…me need beer now. And now, it's nearly the weekend. Enough of frivolous things like work, it's time to enjoy life and the living of it!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: October 19, 2012 (05:03 PM)

Still! Despite never hearing about Vampire Rain, it's good knowing the review informed you about the game and how it's really supposed to work. Thanks for the comments. Congrats to Suskie on his RotW.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: October 20, 2012 (12:42 AM)

Thanks a lot for the win, OD, and more importantly for doing this. Win or lose, your feedback is always welcome.

Kudos to regular placers Joe and Pickhut.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: October 20, 2012 (01:34 AM)

Woohoo! Thanks for the placement and for getting this out. Also congrats to pick and Suskie.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.