Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Far Cry review

This thread is in response to a review for Far Cry on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: September 01, 2008 (01:00 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

On release, Far Cry seemed like a masterstroke of first-person shooting to me. In the years since, HL2 and BioShock have rendered everything else in the genre absolutely irrelevant, but I still enjoy blasting through the first few hours of Far Cry more than most other shooters. An eight seemed harsh initially, but in retrospect it's probably about right, if only for the ridiculous Trigens. On a good day, though, I'd suggest it deserves the extra mark for being just like LOST. ;)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: September 01, 2008 (08:06 AM)

I've always wanted to review this game but never did (and probably never will) because I love so much and hate so much about the game that I don't know where to begin. It would probably turn out to be 20k.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: September 01, 2008 (08:34 AM)

Uh... except Lost actually has a good plot?

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 01, 2008 (08:50 AM)

I want to play this game now. Haha

This was a great review. From the very start, you catch my interest; with the numerous sarcastic and witty bts, you keep me entertained. And when you move into the description of the game itself, your transitions and explanations are well-written and engaging. The only part I didn't like about this review was the second-to-last paragraph, where you talk about the Trigens or whatever. It sort of felt like you lost your steam there - the transition was weak, that sort of thing. But the way you inevitably concluded the review worked well... Overall, though, great read.

One thing, though:

Using the think jungles to your advantage is the obvious course of action, and the open-ended level design ofFar Cry

Typos

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 01, 2008 (09:07 AM)

Lost has a plot at all? I thought the entire plot was that crazy people were crazy. Go figure.

I'd bought the 360 version of this last night off Ebay for pennies before this review went up. I'll have to see how the console version stacks.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: September 01, 2008 (01:06 PM)

Thanks for your comments, Wolfqueen, and for spotting those typos. This was the first review I wrote on my new laptop, and I made a number of mistakes while adjusting to the smaller keyboard. I thought I'd caught them all, but obviously I was mistaken.

Also, EmP: Is the 360 version even the same game? I haven't played it yet so I have no idea how it compares.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: September 01, 2008 (01:49 PM)

I'd have been much more harsh, I loved the first 1/3 of Far Cry but just had to stop playing two or three chapters into the monkey part.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: September 01, 2008 (04:11 PM)

To be honest I expected a bash review. It was a good read, but from the first moment I started reading, I remembered how much I hate Farcry with it's AI. You see, they can shoot you from a mile away, through the sodding forest, straight in your bloody face each and every time. I swear, I think all of those mercenaries, every single one has the potential for being the best marksman on the face of the planet.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: September 01, 2008 (05:39 PM)

That's an interesting comment, DE, because I definitely didn't have that problem. I agree that those mercenaries had no trouble finding me, but even once I was spotted, very few of their shots (at least from a distance) landed. That was actually my reassurance that even if I was spotted, I wasn't dead yet. So as I said, interesting.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: September 01, 2008 (06:01 PM)

The 360 version is a better version of the Xbox game I think. You get a few neat abilities (called feral powers or something, you can mutate into monsters) but the game is much smaller since the original Xbox couldn't handle the giant levels. I think it's also easier.

Anyways apart from the Trigens there were a bunch of little things that annoyed me, such as:

-Horrible hitscan, would headshot non-armored mercs with a sniper and not kill them and sometimes shoot them in the leg and take them out
-The problem DE mentioned. Sometimes I could jump up and down behind the mercs and they wouldn't notice and other times I would be spotted from miles away and blasted with an unaccurate machine gun.
-Horrible quicksave system! For the most part it was good but there were some instances where you fight a boss and it doesn't save until a few gameplay minutes later.
-Too much memorization towards the end. Perfection is needed to make it past some heavily Trigen-covered areas.
-Can't shoot even a pistol in water. I believe this was fixed in the console games.

However when it was good it was really good. Still probably a 6 or 7 but could've been really great if soem of the flaws were gone and the Trigen's appearances were greatly reduced.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.