Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Masters's Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas review

This thread is in response to a review for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PSP. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 27, 2008 (11:22 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is a clever review, probably your best in your most recent bash. I like how you made your points, but did so in an amusing way. Particularly good lines where the ones about the dumb things enemies yell out when giving up a gunfight yell out and how the game may as well be set anywhere, making the Vegas moniker obsolete. It's full of funny, but important, lines like this.

I’m glad I went through all the effort of making you a focus window for it.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 27, 2008 (11:39 AM)

Haha, that's too much. Clearly, *I* was the one who did the focus window job, even if you had to tech support me through it (alright, fine, so I was hopeless without the handholding...).

Anyway, thanks a bunch for reading and for liking it so much. I was glad to finally type it up and submit it; I had it written for some time.

Sadly, even with this submission, my backlog is only increasing. :(

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 27, 2008 (01:30 PM)

This really was a good review. I think it was longer than most of your recent stuff, but it also was an interesting read throughout.

I thought the observations about how this is supposed to be a game set in Vegas but doesn't really feel like it were really telling. Plus I liked your bits about Brian and Shawn because they made the game seem more personal and also made it easier to laugh at the shortcomings you described.

As a whole, this was a really entertaining review for what sounds like a disappointingly bland FPS for the PSP. I got a real sense for how things worked and by the time I finished reading, I felt almost like I had played the game. This is the sort of review that manages the perfect balance between entertaining and informative, a tough thing to do indeed!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 27, 2008 (01:37 PM)

I’m glad I went through all the effort of making you a focus window for it.

Yeah, you just redeemed whoever put in that god awful, poorly resized image of the wrong Turok game.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2008 (01:46 PM)

Thanks for the positive feedback Venter. I actually wrote the review the old fashioned way right after beating it, on the plane. That's pretty telling, considering I could have replayed it, or delved into the unlockables in greater depth -- I wrote about how disappointed I was instead.

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2008 (03:04 PM)

Sorry, Suskie, your shot was in vain; your example was not my doing. Better luck next time around.

Or, instead of taking childish shots at things you don't like, you could actually fix problems such as they. Staff are expected to do such things. I know, it means doing something other then make puzzling topic hijack attempts, but if you try really hard, I'm sure you can pull it off.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: August 27, 2008 (03:38 PM)

Bitter EmP is bitter.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2008 (03:57 PM)

I'm not bitter. I'm just an arse.

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2008 (04:00 PM)

That wasn't aimed at you at all, EmP. I would never even think about jumping to conclusions about who makes poor decisions with the focus window. Why, that would be silly of me.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 27, 2008 (04:01 PM)

Edit: Dammit. Ruined my joke.

And yeah; that was a fun review. Haha. Bob? Seriously?

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2008 (04:05 PM)

The aim is not a concern; I was befuddled as to the baffling reasons for why the shot was fired at all and the just-as-puzzling choice of location.

I've walked Masters through the finer arts of making a focus window. If you're having trouble being able to edit away ones you find unacceptable, I'll be happy to do the same with you.

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2008 (04:09 PM)

Thanks wolfqueen. I'm sifting through the rubble of this battle to find pleasant gems of encouraging feedback. =D

board icon
Posted: August 27, 2008 (07:20 PM)

Hmm... A comment on the focus window in a thread where the subject of the focus window had already come up twice? Oh yeah, good luck getting to the bottom of that one.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: August 27, 2008 (11:55 PM)

This topic sucks and is now about Masters' review.

Oh wait. That's what it was about in the first place before two staff members derailed it.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: August 28, 2008 (06:26 AM)

Haha, well one of those two staff members made the topic in the first place, so I guess staffers are not all bad! :P

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 28, 2008 (02:09 PM)

We aren't?

Oh, anyway, this was a good review. Like said before, the "Bob" part cracked me up. "Shit, Bob, my bad!"

And I agree. When you set a game in a distinct, recognizable area, you HAVE to take advantage of that, as opposed to just using generic level sites that could be put in any similar sort of game. It's like with the first scenario Duke Nukem 3-D, you start out with three cool levels (two city and one prison), but then have a sewer-type place and a outdoors canyon (standard FPS stuff). Then, the second scenario is completely in a moonbase. The third scenario got things back to cool, detailed city/buildings levels, but that extended period of time in which the game was in "generic FPS" mode did nothing but make me realize that I liked Doom II a lot more than this game.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: August 28, 2008 (06:47 PM)

I'm all bad.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: August 28, 2008 (10:45 PM)

MOM, DAD STOP FIGHTING ;_;

_

board icon
Posted: August 29, 2008 (06:09 AM)

Duke Nukem 3-D, baha I haven't heard the name Duke Nukem for a loooong time. Is that game worth checking out?

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 29, 2008 (11:51 AM)

Solid for FPS fans. Personally, I prefer Doom II by a ways, but Duke Nukem has its moments. Especially with some of the third scenario locations. You have a grocery store, sushi bar, bank, hotel, etc. and the boss fight's in a football (American, not EmPican, variety).

If you get Atomic Edition, like I did, the fourth scenario also was pretty cool.

Whatever you do, NEVER get the PS1 version. Ugly and chopped down. Seem to recall a number of secret levels were trimmed.

EDIT: Actually, I think some of the third scenario levels I mentioned might be in the fourth. Been a while since I played it....

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.