Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Max Payne 3 review

This thread is in response to a review for Max Payne 3 on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: September 17, 2012 (04:45 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Seems you enjoyed the plot and the massive dialog about as much as I did. I assume, from the seven, that you also enjoyed the combat as much as I did.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: voraWreri
Posted: September 17, 2012 (07:55 PM)

What a fantasic review written by a fantastic man, one no doubt my superior in every way. I bet he has no flaws to speak of at all, and makes people like myself look like the mere ants we are.

That Max Payne, though; I bet he can do with some kind of hair product -- am I right?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: September 17, 2012 (09:19 PM)

Now if there is one man who needs hair reduction help, it is MAX PAYNE.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 18, 2012 (09:29 AM)

Underneath it all, I think I just wanted to write a really pretentious review.

Max Payne 3's plot wasn't my big hate; the story itself was actually pretty good and suitably miserable. But the way the game forced it upon at times was sufficating. Which was a shame because, yeah, tuning out and blowing shit away was great. That I could play the game as a balls-out shooter, a careful cover shooter of a crazy drugged-up hybrid is a fantastic selling point.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: September 18, 2012 (11:19 AM)

You did manage to write a particularly snobby, over the top review, by the way. I figured it was completely intentional.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: September 18, 2012 (12:58 PM)

You did manage to write a particularly snobby, over the top review, by the way. I figured it was completely intentional.

Indeed you did. Kudos! Great read.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: September 20, 2012 (09:50 AM)

Thanks, gang.

board icon
Author: ryan
Posted: September 24, 2012 (06:39 PM)

I never though I'd be this disappointed with a Rockstar game. After GTA, RDR and LA Noire, i was hoping for more of the same but got probably the most linear and repetitive shooter I had ever played. The story was uninteresting and the comic style presentation of the scenes kinds got old after about an hour. The game was pretty challenging though so not a total waste of time. I would have given this a 6/10.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 24, 2012 (07:03 PM)

Did you play the first two Max Payne games, ryan? Not every game Rockstar makes is open world like GTA or Red Dead Redemption. They've also put out a number of racing games, and yes, a conventional(ish) FPS series.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: September 24, 2012 (10:32 PM)

The first couple of Max Payne games were made by Remedy, Jason. Rockstar was only involved with MP3.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 25, 2012 (01:49 AM)

Right, and Rockstar didn't make LA Noir, either, or Smuggler's Run. But those are still Rockstar games as far as most consumers are concerned because the Rockstar name is on the packaging. The Rockstar name doesn't always mean open world gaming.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 25, 2012 (05:14 PM)

Great review. I especially found this line to be rather poetic and effective. The woes of lost loved ones and one man wars waged from behind a police shield are whispered rumours, whistling around the landscape like a junkie's dying sigh. It's there, in the shadows, but try and look directly at it, and it vanishes into the enviable darkness.

I need to invest in this series at some point, too.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: September 25, 2012 (07:26 PM)

Max Payne 1 is a classic, but it's got very stiff controls. Max Payne 2 has better controls but has a habit to be glitchy and somehow isn't quite as satisfying a story. It's TOO grim (and coming from me, that says a lot). Max Payne 3 is the best in terms of controls, I mean it just plays great, but is pretty weak in terms of story and has a terrible end game.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.