Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week (17/08/08 - 23/08/08)

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 24, 2008 (07:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Review of the WEEK. I’m on time because I’m better than you. There are rules like no staff and only one review per writer counts. This week has been arse with only five reviews subbed and only two of them really deserving a spot in this. They are as follows

FIRST PLACE: DMC4 -- Boo

Of course this was going to win -- I wrote all the best lines for it.

You’ve already had a ton of feedback from me, so you get an abridged version here. Boo’s review is probably better than he thinks it is because, while a lot of it is aimed at people who have already played a DMC or three, I still know what he’s saying with relative ease. Sure, the specifics are lost on me, but it’s well written enough for the context to carry me so I’m not throwing up question marks every third line. It’s a justified score, even if the review is a typical list pros/detract with cons rundown, it’s one that works.

SECOND PLACE: The Incredible Crash Dummies -- WQ

You spelt humour wrong. Silly yank.

Dear Wolfy treads dangerous ground with the shattered rose tinted specs intro, but pulls it off well enough to not have the cliché police crash through her bedroom window. What hurts more is a sense of disjointedness when a number of short paragraphs link gracelessly together. It’s not until the latter half of the review when everything seems to work so much better and you come up with some good lines, such as the dummies loosing their heads being a drawback for mobility. This isn’t one of your best; it feels forced at points, but I think you do a good job with the limited material you have. Kudos for not taking a cheap shortcut like Felix did with his version.

THIRD PLACE: X-COM:TftD -- Cornwell

I hope you’ll excuse the rudeness, but this doesn’t really belong here. Not only should all (post apoc) X-Com review be 10/10, this is a review that does a good job or skirting the edges, but never really delving in to the heart of the game. It makes a good case for TftD being little more than an add on, but, in using this tactic, assumes that readers are familiar already with Enemy Unknown. People should be, but a lot of them are not. They are fools.

Well done on not making your review a billion words like my original EU is, but I would have appreciated more time spent on actual discussion of the game.

RotW over.

For us. For them. For you.

This message was deleted at the request of mardraum, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: August 24, 2008 (07:08 PM)

you need to stop claiming you've written half my reviews when you help me transition between paragraphs or something. at least I can spell.

congrats to the winners!

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 24, 2008 (07:12 PM)

If you had come to me first, that post would have read so much better.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 24, 2008 (07:33 PM)

Eh. I didn't really try really hard with this one, admittedly. Not to mention that it was sort of hard to talk about anyway. Thanks for the comments, anyway, though I know this really probably wouldn't've been here if more people had submitted.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.