Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Lord of the Rings: The Third Age review

This thread is in response to a review for Lord of the Rings: The Third Age on the Game Boy Advance. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 22, 2008 (09:35 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I have a famously short attention span, but this review, despite being long, held my attention. That's probably the highest compliment I can pay it. Still, I'll go on to say that although you took your sweet time getting into the meat of the review, I didn't mind the excursion. The 'voice' of the review is as good as it gets; it's a friendly, funny, gamer in-the-know sitting us down for a chat about a game. I enjoyed sitting and listening.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 22, 2008 (09:43 AM)

Thanks, Masters. I spent a lot of time rambling in this, but found very little I wanted to cut. I'm glad it came across as more than an inability to edit!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: August 23, 2008 (02:32 AM)

Uncovered a little known gem here, EmP. Who'd have thought the handheld namesake would be the superior game for once?

You'll want to doublecheck your spelling on some of the character names, however...

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 24, 2008 (08:04 PM)

Wow. Alright. This is a great review and everything, but it's riddled with errors. I'll HG mail them after posting this so as not to embarrass you or something.

I like how approached this, actually. I often don't like when reviewers go into tangents about the developers or whatever, but you pull it off here. It's amusing that you allegedly waste our time. You're not really, though, of course. It's building up your point that the handheld version of this game is better than the mainstream console ones. Which is a rare event to be sure and should be properly noted.

I remember reading part of the original draft before it got nuked and I think I remember the whole VM tangent thing being better than it is here, but you really can't go wrong with digs at VM anyway, right? =P Besides, rewriting nearly completed drafts from scratch and making them as good as the original is impossible. I've tried. And failed. Miserably.

The rest of it's pretty good, too. I like the leader ability examples. They're quite effective. And it's interesting that you can play commanders that aren't nearly as important as the main plot characters. At any rate, I'd say this is a game worth checking out. Wish I had the time for it.

Like I said earlier, I've been wantng to read this since the draft in your blog, and I don't regret ever saying that. I'm glad you decided to finish it.

As a side note, who's the Witch King? I don't remember him... I want to say he's the king of the dead person, but I'm not sure. I don't think that's right, anyway.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: August 24, 2008 (10:06 PM)

The Witch King was the leader of the Ringwraiths.

_

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: August 24, 2008 (10:49 PM)

And it's interesting that you can play commanders that aren't nearly as important as the main plot characters.

You bet. By far the most effective commander killer is the Mouth of Sauron on the side of Mordor, able to boost the damage an entire flank does against all enemy commanders, and to stun (= miss a turn) an enemy with 100% effectiveness, which translates to pinning a leader in place so you can finish him off.

Wasn't so effective in the extended edition of the movies, now was he...

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 25, 2008 (07:45 AM)

The review was been edited, re-edited, turned back to how it was then edited anew.

It would have been easier to ring VM and insult her directly....

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: August 25, 2008 (12:02 PM)

All that work and there's still errors? Haha.=P

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: August 25, 2008 (01:20 PM)

I'm quite certain EmP was doing his sarcasm thing.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: August 25, 2008 (05:31 PM)

I'm sure he was, but that doesn't mean what he implied isn't true. Then again, it maybe it was.

How's that for a convoluted sentence(s)?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.