Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Spec Ops: The Line review

This thread is in response to a review for Spec Ops: The Line on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: September 05, 2012 (11:10 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Huh, the way they advertised this game made me dismiss it immediately. But now, well damn, awesome article.

And now I feel bad that I'm looking to buy this game used.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: September 05, 2012 (08:46 PM)

I'm sure 2K was trying to market the game to the generic shooter crowd, even though Spec Ops: The Line acts largely as a criticism of that genre. The game is already generating a lot of talk among serious gamers (enough that I can really see it becoming a cult classic a few years down the line), but too much of the potential core audience is ignoring it, either because it wasn't marketed properly, or because of the somewhat lukewarm critical reception due, evidently, to a multiplayer component that Yager didn't even want to throw in. So it seems that 2K's attempts to reach a larger audience have ironically made the game less successful. A shame, but a poetic shame nonetheless.

Anyway, thanks a lot for reading. This really is one of the year's must-play games, in my mind.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 06, 2012 (10:12 AM)

Fine stuff, Suskie. You've probably just sold me a game.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: September 07, 2012 (12:09 AM)

I hope so! It strikes me as the sort of game that everyone will have a wildly differently interpretation of. A lot of critics just saw it as a mediocre shooter that just happened to have an above-average story. Obviously, I saw a lot more than that.

I'll say this: The Line has, bar none, the most brutal moment I've ever experienced in a game. I didn't mention it or allude to it in my review. Interestingly, the sequence will play out completely differently for many people.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.