Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: Aug. 19-25, 2012 -- A VERY GOOD WEEK FOR GOOD REVIEWS

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 29, 2012 (10:55 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Sort of a busy week this week. Even when you take out how Zig don't do RotW (too bad, I thought it was kickin') and how I'm ineligible because I'm judging, there still were eight reviews by seven people. Which means THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

So let it flow!

HONORABLE MENTION: S.C.A.T. (NES) by overdrive

And this is the part of the proceedings where I say "DAMN IT ALL! I'M PIMPING MY WORK AND THAT'S THAT!" I wrote this fine piece of American literature last week despite being swamped at work with multiple projects and regular business to attend to, making me a national hero for the way I rose above adversity and showed all of our children that you too…(okay, maybe not most of you) can achieve great things with hard work and lots and lots of drugs.

THIRD: Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway (360) by EmP

I'm pretty sure I've made that joke about WW II being overused. Or at least commented on how much it is used. I'm one of the cool reviewers!!! Anyway, you do a great job showing how this game is different from the pack and how it is more immersive simply because it makes you feel like you're with real people (as opposed to MoH's SUPERDUPERSOLDIER Jimmy Patterson…or the handful of stock cliches I controlled when I played Call of Duty 3). Very effective review that gives good info on the real life events the game is based on, as well as how this game plays and utilizes the "team" concept.

SECOND: Catherine (PS3) by holdthephone

It's funny. I'm playing Persona 3 right now (also by Atlus). That game could be briefly described as "life sim during the day; rogue dungeon grinding at night". This game could be described as "bar sim during the evening; box puzzles at night". So, in short, I could really get what you were saying with this review. It resonated with me. You did this good job of explaining how the two modes are connected and what does and doesn't work. Possibly solely on the merits of the review or possibly in part because my P3 experiences really reverberated in my mind reading this….either way this was my favorite review of the week because it took hold of me the most and gave the best descriptions of how everything works. Which might be the worst-written praise I've ever given. The last two weeks have been rough at work…ugh…

A more serious honorable mention goes to Fiddlesticks' review of Illblood. I loved the intro and, in general, how you described the zany, incomprehensible nature of the game. Although, I totally guessed the endgame "surprise" just from reading the review and Wiki said I was right! Still, a good look at something I'd never heard of.

So to celebrate your placements, listen to some old Obituary. I'd recommend Killing Time, as it gives you a couple minutes of good stoner heavy rhythm guitar before the unearthly screaming begins. While I like the unearthly screaming, I concede that not all of you are so…how do I say it…refined and sophisticated. Such a pity, as my old chum Rhapthorne would say between murders.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 29, 2012 (11:15 AM)

Yeah, that Catherine review was my favorite of the week, too, Holdthephone! You did an incredible job with that one. Best Catherine review I've read.

Thanks for the Mega Man mention, Rob! A lot of people have been telling me I'm insane for writing these as indepth as I do. I can't help it; I'm just having fun! Good to hear that I'm not the only one enjoying them.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: August 29, 2012 (05:22 PM)

hell yeah i needed that ego injection, pass me those drugs OD.

Mobius 1, engage...

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.