Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Soulcalibur IV review

This thread is in response to a review for Soulcalibur IV on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: August 19, 2008 (01:41 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

For some reason I chose to read through this review without first glancing at the score. I was very surprised to see it at the end. Was expecting a 6, perhaps a 7 at a real push.

Enjoyed the review though!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 19, 2008 (01:58 PM)

Instead of emphasizing it repeatedly throughout the review, I chose to make only 2 or 3 references to the fact that the game is quite good in nearly every way, but truly great in none. To me, that justified a 7 or an 8 and I spent quite awhile agonizing over which was more appropriate. This really was a more difficult game for me to rate than most, though Izuna 2 is now giving me similar issues (dang it!).

I finally settled on 8 because the game is well above average in many, many ways. Most people tend to view 8 as barely worth a purchase these days, anyway. It's all about the hunt for 9s and 10s.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the review, by the way. I try to write my stuff so that even if someone doesn't agree with the score I stick on the end, he learns something from the text about how much the game will truly appeal to him... or if he'll want to give it a pass. It sounds like I've potentially accomplished for you, and if so that's the best that I can hope for.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: August 20, 2008 (10:01 AM)

I love how every review for this game seems to have a "is there soul left?" joke. Seriously! I find the ridiculous cheesiness of such statements endearing. I read your "does the soul still burn" bit, and I immediately knew that this review would be full of win.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: August 20, 2008 (10:19 AM)

I love reviews that make me look up words like "sinewy" to find out what they mean. :)

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: August 21, 2008 (04:21 AM)

"Most people tend to view 8 as barely worth a purchase these days, anyway. It's all about the hunt for 9s and 10s."

This is odd, though, isn't it? There's potentially a lot more need for manouverability at the high end of the rating scale than the lower end: while there's likely little difference between a 4 and a 5, there's potentially a huge amount of difference between a 9 and a 10. Still, you're right. I suppose with games prices as they are, if people can only afford to buy a game every month or two then they'll hold out for that 9 or 10 that inevitibly comes along pretty much every month or two.

board icon
Author: Daisuke02
Posted: August 21, 2008 (01:44 PM)

B...but Jason, I'm doing the review for the 360 version. Or something. I thought you played the PS3 one?

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: August 21, 2008 (02:02 PM)

You're right. It got posted under the wrong game profile. That's what I get for posting the review while tired (though I'd written it earlier). I've updated so that it now appears in the proper place, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one looking forward to your review of the Xbox 360 version.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: August 21, 2008 (02:09 PM)

Yep, either tonight or tomorrow should be the time for submitting. Been a hectic week, but I've gotten to proofing it now.

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: August 21, 2008 (02:43 PM)

Both Venter and the rest of the world await my upcoming review for a hentai rpg.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Posted: August 21, 2008 (03:18 PM)

Those people await my hentai review like mad crazy. Their lives literally depend on that shit.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: August 21, 2008 (11:33 PM)

Good review as usual, Venter.

Both Venter and the rest of the world await my upcoming review for a hentai rpg.

Confirming dis.

_

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.