Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW: July 15 to July 21 -- Sorry?

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: July 31, 2012 (03:25 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Yeah, yeah, I know this is late, but I haven't been around much lately and won't be around much in the near future, (it's too bloody hot), so I honestly can't say I'll be doing this in a timely manner from now on.

Never thought I'd have a life, but there we go. :/ Oh well. Enjoy.

THIRD PLACE: Overdrive's Final Fantasy II review

This review is good because it illustrates exactly what makes this game lousy and why that matters. I actually liked FF2 when it was consolidated with the first in the Origins pack for Playstation. But here, with the original NES, it sounds rather unappealing. Even the things I kind of liked about it when I played the later version sound unpleasant, such as stat building. You more or less have encouraged me to reevaluate my own opinion on the game.

SECOND PLACE: Dagoss's Joy Mech Fight Review

You do a great job opening this up providing your own, amusing interpretation of the story. It's so intriguing that it makes me wish you'd added screens to this review just so I could see for myself. The other thing I like about this is that you get right to the point in describing what makes this one great. For a game that old, it's amazing that it can still stand among today's fighters. I may check this out one day, and I'm not even that into fighters.

FIRST PLACE: Fiddlestick's Resident Evil 5 review

Welcome to HG. You do a really good job expressing your enthusiasm for this game and presenting your arguments for it. From other reviews I've read for RE5, I got the impression that it was more or less a dumbed down RE4. But you make it sound more appealing than that, and that's good. You even describe the more spoily sounding events in a vague enough light to make them mysterious. Your writing also carried with it enough enthusiasm throughout the review to keep me interested, and that's often a quality that takes years to develop. Keep it up.

Joe's reviews were pretty good and fought for a spot this time around. It was also nice to see something from pickhut and Roto13, both of whom also subbed quality stuff. Also, congrats to the other newcomer, crestfallen_dreamer, who made a decent effort as well.

OD's up this week, and will likely be more timely than me.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 31, 2012 (05:29 PM)

Very similar to my own thoughts, though it was a toss up between the RE5 review and Overdrives FF2 for me. I was hoping Fiddlesticks would get acknowledged for that review!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: August 01, 2012 (04:51 AM)

Yay! JMF gets some love.

I would have submitted some screens, but I was playing on an actual NES. I have yet to come up with a way to capture video from my TV. I probably even have the stuff to do it sitting around and just don't know it!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: August 02, 2012 (08:52 AM)

Thanks for the mention and getting this out, even if it is late. ;)

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.