Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Broken Fez patch being put back online, won't be fixed

This thread is in response to an article about Fez on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 19, 2012 (04:14 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Customer service, guys. Customer service.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: July 20, 2012 (04:27 PM)

I think that's unnecessarily snarky. For an alternative perspective, try this: http://www.merseyremakes.co.uk/gibber/2012/07/contextualizing-the-debate/

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: July 20, 2012 (05:27 PM)

I'm uncomfortable with that editorial you linked.

Just kidding. More to the point:

A) The first patch was free. It fixed most issues. Phil Fish could have left things at that instead of making it a bigger deal by pulling the patch, then re-releasing the same patch with a long-winded rant against The Man.

B) Regarding his "woe is me, damn The Man" rant: Penalties for releasing multiple patches are intended to prevent the Xbox 360 from suffering the same thing that has plagued PC gaming -- where buggy products are released and patched multiple times until the developer finally gets it right. As a consumer with ghetto internet, I appreciate Microsoft's practice of punishing multiple patches. The amount sounds excessive (I heard 40k), but it's a consumer-friendly practice on Microsoft's part.

C) Phil Fish tends to act like a prick, so I derive pleasure from seeing him get treated like a prick.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: July 21, 2012 (02:11 AM)

The parts of the article I linked that I found particularly noteworthy were the remarks about indie developers lacking access to monumental amounts of money (particularly after the game's development time ended up multiplying about five-fold) and the point about the Steam/XBLA question. Steam was not a force to be reckoned with in indie at the time Fez's development began, so XBLA was the logical choice. Sneering that Fez should have been on Steam anyway takes advantage of information that Phil Fish couldn't have possessed at the time.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: July 21, 2012 (04:48 AM)

Indie developers don't need monumental amounts of money. If you're going so far as to put a game onto XBLA, then you should be able to drum up some QA testers. Failing that, you get a free patch. If an indie developer finds themselves in a situation where a critical second patch is needed, then they screwed up. The big money penalty has prevented some games from being patched, which is a stain on those games' reputations, and that's a good thing because it sends a message and dissuades other developers from releasing broken games onto XBLA.

That being said, a second patch is NOT critical for Fez, which is why Phil Fish could have avoided mainstream attention by simply saying the first patch was good enough and leaving it out there. By revoking the first patch and later re-releasing it with a rant, the "necessity" for a second patch looks exaggerated in the public eye.

So, the "I don't have money" argument garners no sympathy from me, since there's no good reason to need patch money in the first place. And besides, Phil Fish already won multiple monetary awards (to the tune of tens of thousands) for an unfinished game. I wonder how the indie devs who had actually finished their games felt about that.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.