Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes of the Lance review

This thread is in response to a review for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes of the Lance on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 12, 2012 (06:34 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

That Ghost Lion reference is hilarious!

Out of curiosity, did you ever get around to trying Pool of Radiance. Between PoR and HotL you basically have the best and worst of what AD&D had to offer. After the Black Isle's infinity engine games, I'd say PoR was the best D&D game ever made. The NES port is missing some features from the PC version, but it was a lot more user-friendly (and the music was catchy!).

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 12, 2012 (07:49 AM)

Pool of Radiance might be the best computer-to-console port of that era. About all that was deleted from the computer version were:

a) Outdoor monster lairs -- about 6-7 small dungeons with a couple battles and some loot.

b) Battles were on a bit smaller scale...7-8 monsters instead of 12-15, for example.

c) You don't get all the loot monsters had. By which I mean all the leather armor and daggers they were holding. In the computer game, if they held it, you could get it, even if it was all mundane junk that wasn't even worth taking the time to pick up and sell.

d) Can't remember PC AI for followers, but all the computer NPCs you could recruit were pretty much useless on the NES. The only one that mattered to me was the cleric who helps you with the Temple of Bane quest because at least I'd have another healer for after-battle curing. And I guess it was kinda helpful to recruit Genheeris for the final battle.

In a way, I think the NES version was actually better, because a lot of what got cut was more of the filler sort of stuff that only really probably pleased the true diehards who wanted to do ANYTHING they'd do in an actual tabletop dice-rolling get-together.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 12, 2012 (10:49 AM)

Dagoss:
Thank you! Never played Pool of Radiance, though I intend to one day. I'm not big on most early console D&D games, but I've heard PoR is great.

OD:
That actually makes me want to play PoR even more. I was worried that it would be a subpar port, but it sounds excellent.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 12, 2012 (11:16 AM)

I thought to myself, "self, why haven't you reviewed PoR?" So I went to the game's page to see if there were any other reviews. Turns out I already reviewed it. Four years ago.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.