Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Monster Party review

This thread is in response to a review for Monster Party on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 10, 2012 (01:41 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hopefully you know by now that I love your reviews, Joe. And you've gotten enough praise for most of them that I don't feel bad telling you this one didn't hit me as well as your others. The writing is good, as usual, and I love your choice of game (I remember getting freaked out by the first level as a kid). I have trouble following you on the journey, though. It's because you start out with a positive endorsement of the game that you never really come back to. When I read any review, I'm aware that neutrality isn't really an option. You're going to tell me how a game plays, yes, but of course it's going to be from your perspective.

So I was waiting for you to explain what it was you liked about the game; what gripped you as a kid that might have given this title its charm. It's clear you still like the game. Is that just nostalgia? I get the sense that you are enjoying the ridiculousness of the title even as you bash it. Is it possible that the game ends up being humourous enough that, like a bad horror film, it's just barely playable? What makes it the charming romp you mention?

Anyway, it's your own good writing to blame. You got me interested enough in your personal story around the game that I was disappointed when I didn't get that... I just got a solid review of an old game.

So with that I give this review only an 8/10. Feel shame!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 10, 2012 (02:32 AM)

Haha, thanks Zipp! :)

Part of what I like about the game is nostalgia. I played it so much as a kid that I just can't hate it now, even though I realize it's such a poor game.

The other part is that I've been a big fan of b-movies since I could remember. Where most kids grew up with Bambi and Dumbo, I was watching Swamp Thing and Phantasm (and even more obscure horror flicks like Spasms, Humongous, Jaws of Satan... I could go on for days). This was one of the first games that I had seen that captured the essence of b-movies. It was such a silly, cheap and illogical game that it was quite like a b-game.

Today, it doesn't have the same effect on me. Maybe I've played through the game too many times, or maybe it's just that I need more than silly charm to hold my attention--in regards to video games anyway.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 10, 2012 (09:03 AM)

As someone who has played (and reviewed) Monster Party, I liked this review. I especially liked how you included a picture of a fierce-looking Minotaur attacking you with a cutesy little cartoon cow. That in itself sums up this game perfectly — one of those "picture = thousand words" moments.

I've played the game twice. I rented it when I was in high school and had a blast. I then played it again to review it. Didn't like it much. It might have aged as badly as the first Wizards and Warriors for me...and that says a lot.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 10, 2012 (10:39 AM)

I'm the only person I know who still likes Wizards and Warriors.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: qxz
Posted: July 12, 2012 (05:47 AM)

Hey, Zipp, I'm also someone who enjoys playing through the first Wizards & Warriors every now and then. However badly it has aged over the years -- it's rife with worthless items and a final level that's pure tedium -- there's still something on a rather basic level I actually dig about it.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
-- Adam Savage

This message was deleted at the request of qxz, the person who originally posted it.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.