Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > dagoss's Wizardry II: Legacy of Llylgamyn review

This thread is in response to a review for Wizardry II: Legacy of Llylgamyn on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: July 08, 2012 (12:11 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review, Dagoss. I'm actually a little more interested in checking out this franchise now.

One thing:

Each floor is a closterphobic maze of tightly packed rooms and doors...

I think you mean "claustrophobic."

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: July 08, 2012 (03:08 PM)

Haha, Thanks. I couldn't figure it out and aspell wasn't picking it up.

If you're interested... the stories really don't arch and are not terribly important (except for 6-8, with 8 being a direct sequel). I'd start with 5 on the SNES or 8 on the PC.

Wizardry 1-3 and 5 are the same style of gameplay. 5 is arguably the best of this style and the SNES port is very good.

Wizardry 4 has you playing as the villain from Wizardry 1. It's hard as fuck and the combat system is different. I think this got a Super Famicom port.

Wizardry 6-8 form a trilogy of sorts based around the villain the Dark Savant. These were not ported to consoles. Wizardry 8 is awesome--like bacon-flavoured beer awesome. The combat is strategic and insanely satisfying.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 09, 2012 (01:07 PM)

I own Wizardry Gold, which was the upgraded release of 7. If by "upgraded" you mean, "will crash frequently", that is.

One of those games that I had fun with for a while, but then realized things were getting to the sort of brutal "no fun to be had here" difficulty I really get annoyed by. Where you have normal encounters mixed with absolutely brutal ones all over the place and it can be a battle of attrition just to do anything.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: July 09, 2012 (04:45 PM)

Wizardry 7 is really fucking hard. I still haven't beat it.

(The Lizardman in Wizardry 7 looks so much like Kermit the Frog that I've never been able to take it seriously.)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: July 09, 2012 (11:37 PM)

This reminded me of how I enjoyed Llylgamyn on the Apple. The evil/good interplay is very clever & sadly I stumbled at the final hurdle because of some tricky renaming.

Wizardry 1-2 (Kt of Diamonds) are, frankly, awful on the Apple. SirTech had a monopoly, and nobody knew that impossible and imbalanced didn't mean thought provoking. I got through 2 quickly because I had to cheat my party up in scenario 1. Everyone I knew seemed to know the trick of putting a different disk in the drive before visiting the stables.

Basically the most useful strategy in the game was NOT to hit return after your party was killed. Then you had to use disk utilities to restore a lost party from the dungeon.

I remember being utterly baffled how anyone could like Wizardry if it were anything close to the Apple, but then I saw how it eased up a bit. I saw the same for Might and Magic, which got a lot easier in the port, too.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 10, 2012 (10:41 AM)

Lizardman = Kermit the frog = hilarious description from dagoss

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2012 (08:27 AM)

I just started a Super Famicom game called Dream Maze (at least that's the translated name...what it actually is called...I don't know). It's kind of like a cute Wizardry, so that's kind of interesting.

You go through colorful first-person mazes (first one is called Cake Tower...the walls look like cake) and fight stuffed animals. Some of them drop suits and you wear the suits to get powers and stuff. Apparently by getting new costumes, that replaces gaining levels. Kind of easy because candy is not only the game's money, but also can be used to heal your character 10 points for each one, so (at least early on) would be pretty hard to get killed unless you really tried to.

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2012 (02:00 PM)

OD: Are you talking about a game called Yume Meikyuu: Kigurumi Daibouken (the images sound like what you described? I'd never heard of it until now, but it kind of sounds like fun...

board icon
Posted: July 16, 2012 (08:09 AM)

That's the one! It's called Dream Maze on the romhacking.net site, but what you posted is its actual Japanese name.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.