Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Next Smash Bros. roster may need a 'change of direction'

This thread is in response to an article about Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the Wii. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 02, 2012 (07:24 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I agree, especially in Melee, the roster was a bunch of repeats. I was actually impressed by Brawl's ability to strike a nice balance where most of the characters felt very disimilar and balanced. Some of the specials, like Ness and Lucas, or Link and, uh, Wind Waker Link, were basically costume changes, but it was at an acceptable level.

I think the key for me is variety. I was never very pleased with having Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Bowser all in one game. The first game was cool that way. Unfortunately, some of the names I'd most like to see appear in the game may never appear due to property rights. Megaman has always been the perfect character for Smash, for instance. Banjo and Kazooie would also be perfect.

I'm not as crazed over the loss of Final Fantasy representation, now that Dissidia has come and gone (twice) and I've always felt like I somehow got off lucky with the earthbound call-outs.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: July 02, 2012 (07:40 PM)

Yeah maybe they're concerned about balance now because Brawl was a legitimately broken brawler in terms of mechanics and roster. Not that most smash players take any notice, but if we can get something as polished as Melee again that would be fantastic.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2012 (09:26 AM)

Ha, see for me it was the other way around. I thought the roster was much more broken in melee (gamecube) than in brawl (wii) though I played WAY more melee than brawl. Just got.... bored with brawl.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2012 (09:42 AM)

I speak from a competitive perspective. I prefer Brawl casually, too.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 03, 2012 (11:19 AM)

I kinda miss the days when it was just the big Nintendo all-stars. I get that "more is better" is really the only way to expand the series without fundamentally changing it, but Brawl was so bogged down with excess that I stopped caring. I also felt that inserting non-Nintendo franchises kinda beat the point, and the idea of Final Fantasy characters appearing in Smash Bros. is one that can piss right off.

I don't think anyone takes these games terribly seriously, but a major overhaul to balance the roster would be appreciated. I'd like to, at long last, actually have a reason to play as Donkey Kong.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 03, 2012 (11:49 AM)

I'm with Suskie. Characters from non-Nintendo franchises are unnecessary and unwelcome in my book. Give more balance to the many Nintendo characters you already have. The idea that the next roster may change is promising, though I fear we're in for some Namco Bandai character cameos and that would suck. Then again, Nintendo has partnered with other companies to produce its games for years (much, much more than many people realize) and with good results, so there's reason to be at least slightly optimistic. I'll wait to judge until we see actual footage.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Roto13
Posted: July 03, 2012 (02:48 PM)

No items, Fox only, Final Destination.

I don't really care what competitive Smash players want. They're all nuts anyway.

---

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2012 (04:45 PM)

Hey now, there a lot of people who take these games seriously! Local smash communities can be quite large. And In a way, I think the next game has an opportunity to be the biggest yet, because I assume it will finally have a competent online component. We could see a surge into the mainstream like we saw with Street Fighter 4.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: July 03, 2012 (06:16 PM)

I always wanted to play as Donkey Kong in the first game, but this forced me to be twice as good at the game as people playing Kirby or Fox were. I think Sonic fit well in the game, and considering we've had Mario & Sonic sports games and stuff, it seemed logical. I don't think Snake really fit well, though. There's a sort of gritty realism to him that makes him stand out from the rest of the cast.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Posted: July 03, 2012 (11:57 PM)

Yeah, I agree that Snake didn't really fit. It was a poor compromise that kept him too gritty to be in the game but too goofy and cartoony to really feel like Snake. Especially coming so close to Metal Gear Solid 4, whose main selling poster was Snake with a damn gun in his mouth.

Sonic did fit right in, really well in fact; Meta Knight and Kid Icarus (maybe the cheapest character in the series) also worked. Pretty much everyone new fit in aside from Snake. Not that I didn't appreciate having him there. ROB the robot was a cool addition, in my opinion.

The heavyweights have always gotten the short stick in the series. King Deedee was perhaps the most playable of them, but Bowser is a wandering tower of sadomasochism and Donkey Kong didn't compare to Diddy Kong at all.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.