Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > dagoss's Cruis'n USA review

This thread is in response to a review for Cruis'n USA on the Nintendo 64. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: August 15, 2008 (10:38 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Good review. I especially liked the crossed out "new cars" bit, and your one-word impression of the soundtrack.

One thing though:

"While this might sound unfair – after all, that epitomizes almost every racing game..."

Did you mean "epitomize"?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: August 15, 2008 (10:45 AM)

Thanks for the compliments.

Did you mean "epitomize"?

Pronoun confusion. What I have is correct ("that" is a pronoun referring to the summary in the previous sentence, which would be singular), but I will revise it so that it is clearer.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: August 15, 2008 (10:51 AM)

No, no. I'm the one not being clear. What I meant was, is 'epitomize' the right word, rather than something like 'describe'?

If you're confident about it, feel free to ignore my two-and-a-half cents.

board icon
Posted: August 15, 2008 (11:21 AM)

When I revised it based on my misunderstanding of what you meant, I inadvertently corrected what you really meant. Go me!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: August 15, 2008 (11:31 AM)

Ha, nice. I just checked it out; it reads quite perfectly now.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: August 15, 2008 (11:39 AM)

I agree with Masters, this is a pretty good review. I was planning on doing this game, like, today, but now I think I may wait and do something else instead.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: June 30, 2009 (09:20 AM)

I spotted some inaccuracies:

There's… …negligible difference between vehicles,

This is incorrect; beating the game on difficulties 1, 3 and 5 release superior updates of the current car, and the speed is noticeably faster in game. Granted, there is barely any difference between any of the four starter cars, but there are huge difference between the upgrades and those starters. You downplay the speed difference later on; the truth is, I'm playing through this currently, and I'm completing races that take under two minutes an average of five to ten seconds faster with the third tier than the second. It's a very real difference in speed. I'm stoked to test my reflexes with the fourth tier cars even if the graphics are atrocious.

The difficulty of this task can vary considerably due to a tightly wound rubber band connecting the AI controlled vehicles to your rear bumper.

This isn’t true either. Cruis’n USA has no rubber band AI (at least against you); if you can’t pull away from racers, it’s probably because you don’t have a car appropriate for that difficulty setting (or they caught up fair and square). Maybe things are different on difficulty 5 (Update: just beat it. they're not), but it's certainly not true for 1 or 3. My understanding is you're racing against cars that are just as fast/faster until you unlock the next tier; that's not rubber band AI.

The game does have rubber band AI that I've seen; it doesn’t let other racers get too far ahead of you if you do poorly. But I’ve pulled away time and again, especially after accidents bring down the front car or just from having a superior car, and I’ve never had anyone catch up despite crashes near the end unless it seemed plausible. (Update: The game even reports split times so you can measure your lead). You didn't play this enough before passing judgment here; see Mario Kart 64 for real rubber band AI on the console, not this.

Playing through the Cruisin' mode will take you through all ten courses consecutively,

There are fourteen courses.

board icon
Posted: June 30, 2009 (05:53 PM)

You misunderstood what I said about the cars. There is a huge difference in the car "levels" (the different colours). I meant that there was little difference between the different cars, (eg the sporty looking car or the one that looks all gangsta -- obviously I know nothing about cars).

As for the rubber band AI, I will admit that I wrote this review largely from memory. I came home after a really bad day and wanted to take it out on a game, and that is exactly what I did.

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: June 30, 2009 (07:13 PM)

Otherwise you made a lot of great, valid points (this isn't a good game, and it -is- a bad port). I think I had more fun with Cruis'n, so expect a review at some point soon, but I can't really disagree with the cardboard trees or driving through Iowa.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.