Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Titan Quest review

This thread is in response to a review for Titan Quest on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Malygris
Posted: June 21, 2012 (10:08 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Titan Quest, and Iron Lore, really deserved better than it got. Innovative, no, but it was an outstanding refinement of the ARPG formula, with a sprawling world and huge variety of enemies and loot. It is exactly what it was meant to be. It's too late now to do Iron Lore any good (or THQ, the way things are going) but if you like the Diablo-type thing, this is definitely worth picking up. (The Immortal Throne expansion pack was good too.)

PC4EVAR

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: June 22, 2012 (03:28 AM)

Thanks for reading!

I've debated picking up Immortal Throne. I probably will eventually.

I do think Titan Quest is the best of the Diablo knock-offs. Not that I've played many, but it's better than Fate (which is dull) or Torchlight (which is still pretty cool).

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: June 27, 2012 (12:53 AM)

I played this through not that long ago. Plenty to like but I did have a couple nitpicks. The first may well be related to my raw melee build, in that I never really had a chance to fight more than one enemy at a time. As I advanced I was able to hit harder and faster but I was still chopping down one enemy, then the next, bugging out to drink a potion if necessary, then back to chopping up the one I was fighting. It may well be that choosing ranged or magical skills would have given me the crowd control I now lacked, so can't really fault the game for that.

My other nitpick was the completely overpowered final boss. It appears that the approach that used to work was stamped out by an update somewhere along the way and now I just had to feel the pain. It took some real cheesiness on my part to get to see the credits, but when you're in this far into any game, you're not exactly going to throw in the towel.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: June 27, 2012 (01:46 AM)

I also played with a melee build, but I dual-wielded. There are certain dual-wield skills you can learn that have a certain chance of hitting enemies around you. I think that was the main way, if not the only way, to nail multiple enemies with a melee build. I was able to chop down two or three at a time that way, plus I had poisonous attacks. Unfortunately, they didn't give you a whirl attack or something you could activate to nail multiple enemies like you could in Diablo.

I do agree on the final boss, though he was still doable. It just felt like he was never going to die, especially since you couldn't really sit still and hack away at the guy. I thought the path leading up to him, especially the parts where you fight a few cyclopes at a time, was also irritating.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.