Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Lollipop Chainsaw review

This thread is in response to a review for Lollipop Chainsaw on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: June 15, 2012 (03:12 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'm about halfway through the game myself and sadly I'd say you're pretty spot on. I find the combat enjoyable and decent but not great. The dialogue, cutscenes, concept, art style and Suda51 weirdness greatly overshadow the actual gameplay. It's absurdly easy so far on normal, some of the mini-games flat out suck (zombie baseball & the combine harvester), the loading times are long, and the audio is over compressed (this really pisses me off because I'm playing the PS3 version). The game was announced only shortly after Shadows of the Damned was released about a year ago. It just feels like it had a smaller budget and short development cycle. Of his localized cannon, I'd say this is slightly above Killer7 but pretty far below No More Heroes 1 & 2 and Shadows of the Damned.

_

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: June 15, 2012 (03:44 PM)

Funny thing is, this is the first time I've actually played a Suda51 game. I've seen clips and watched some streams in the past for the other games, and just by that alone, even I agree his previous works had more variety, even if they had issues of their own.

This may sound strange saying this about a Suda51 game, but it feels like they were playing it safe in an attempt to appeal to a bigger crowd. Dunno.

Thanks for reading the review! I like the game, but in all honesty, it's something that's been seen before. Dug the style (concept, music, art, etc), though.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: June 16, 2012 (09:44 PM)

Nice review, Pickhut. How does it control? Pretty smooth? I hadn't heard of this game (I've been out of the loop) but it sounds like it has great style. Also sounds like it falls into the classic hack-and-slasher trap of being repetitive.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: June 16, 2012 (10:43 PM)

Plays basically like any other decent hack 'n slash game that's been released in the past, so no issues with the controls if you've played those before.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: June 17, 2012 (04:29 AM)

It actually doesn't feel all that repetitive your first playthrough mainly because the game does enough in the way of diversions from combat to break it up (anything from mini games of varying quality to short QTE-ish button prompts) and the game is only 5-6 hours. On my second playthrough, it does feel a lot more repetitive now that I can spam a lot of the same overpowered combos. I mean, it's not a good thing that it's best described as a higher budget Onechanbara. This game is going to bomb, so it's best to wait for it to drop price.

_

board icon
Posted: June 17, 2012 (01:27 PM)

I dunno, once I got the spinning attack during the stadium stage in my first run, I pretty much spammed that attack the most, even when I bought other attacks later. It just felt easier to pull off compared to the more powerful attacks that required at least 7 button presses to perform.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Posted: June 17, 2012 (03:21 PM)

The bigger combos are better for Sparkle Hunting and farming Platinum Medals.

_

board icon
Posted: June 17, 2012 (03:40 PM)

That's true, but I do find it hard replaying the game for another full go just to unlock costumes, pictures, and getting better grades. The game's fun, but not THAT fun. :

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JujuZombie
Posted: July 08, 2012 (10:19 AM)

Good review, I really enjoyed the game. The style and humor is great, and I love spotting all these off the wall references it keeps making to so much stuff, like you mentioned. (lol, Fulci Fun Center)
I agree, the minigames are a pain in the ass mostly, I didn't find many of them fun, except the combine one. It's completely pointless, but I thought it was fun lol.
I've almost got all the trophies now, and I'm still having fun with it.

I'm of the mind that the only sane people left are the ones who were crazy to begin with.
-Stinger

board icon
Posted: July 08, 2012 (01:48 PM)

Thanks for reading!

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.