Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Game of Thrones review

This thread is in response to a review for Game of Thrones on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: June 05, 2012 (03:23 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Hm... That's disappointing this didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. When I saw this was going to be released on PC (and obviously other platforms, like the 360), I was excited as hell thinking it would be great. I may have only watched the series so far (which I love), but I could see just from that that the game could have had a lot of potential.

The world within the series is huge, and could be comparable to the Elder Scrolls given enough time and development. The fact that they just recycled a few key places is heavily disappointing, and it's even more disappointing that your enemies are largely the same as well. Admittedly, I did wonder how they would execute that since even in the show (and I assume the books, too) the main adversaries are in fact people, but developers always add random monsters and the like that could fit the mythology with cases like this. Even Lord of the Rings did!

I'm glad the story's at least worth it, though. I may still buy the game for that alone, but now I'm just going to wait for it to come way down in price. Thanks for reviewing this; you probably saved me quite a bit of money.

On a side note, you spell the Queen's name a couple of different ways throughout the review, so you may want to uniform that. I can't remember offhand how it's spelled, though. And, just a point of curiosity, does the one guy really have dog powers, or is it a wolf? I remember in the show the six siblings had dire wolves as guardians, so I would guess it would be the same here, but this easily could have changed for game purposes.

Nice job anyhow.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: June 05, 2012 (03:28 PM)

It's "Cersei."

I've also only watched the show, but I like it so much that I refuse to spoil it by reading the books. Even though pretty much everyone has been telling me to read them. Just to echo what WQ said, I see a lot of potential in a truly involving Game of Thrones RPG, so it's disappointing to hear that the game is mediocre, though the fact that they apparently nailed some key story-related aspects means I still might get around to playing it. Great job addressing everything I wanted to know.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: June 05, 2012 (03:36 PM)

I love your reviews, Rob. They're never flashy, but they get the job done. Your reviews are the stolid blue-collar worker of honest gamer and that's not an insult. I like that you're able to tackle what could easily be a very tricky review and just "say it." You don't mince words, you get to the point and then you bow out. It's inspired me to finally finish my max payne review. I read this and I was like, damn... if Rob can cover Game of Thrones this well in this short a time, then I have to take example from that and stop sitting on my own reviews. Well done, sir. Well done.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: June 06, 2012 (02:57 AM)

Been following this game's production for years. After the RTS turned out mediocre, I didn't expect much of this, either. Too small a company with not enough experience to do this justice. It's such a shame. I'll probably play this when it's a bargain bin title.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 06, 2012 (12:17 PM)

Thanks for the correction, Suskie. I hate names.

Thanks for the compliments, Zipp. I glad it LOOKED like it was easy to write. Took a while to figure out what I wanted to say and how to say it.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.