Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland review

This thread is in response to a review for Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 26, 2012 (08:13 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It certainly looks beautiful!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: May 28, 2012 (04:06 PM)

Wow, I only just found out this was already out in the EU. It didn't take long to play? I'm assuming there are loads of different character endings as with the Arland games? Good to hear they've speeded up travel and quest/item identification, but it sounds as if that feeling of always having to rush around and be careful about time remains one of the major stumbling blocks to full enjoyment.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 28, 2012 (04:14 PM)

I put around 60 hours into it, threetimes. NIS America sent me an advance copy. Ironically, I played through it... three times. I've actually just barely started a fourth run, for fun, but I had other stuff to do. Anyway, it's a wonderful and addictive game, and I hated that I had to give it a rating of "only" 8, but the site doesn't allow 8.5 and 9 felt too high given the time constraints and other minor annoyances. If you're into this sort of game at all, though, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next Atelier title, which I guess hits Japan next month and probably won't arrive in North America and Europe until much later... possibly under a new publisher (since Koei Tecmo bought out Gust, the developer).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Nightmare
Posted: May 28, 2012 (05:02 PM)

Good review, Venter. I was debating on picking this one up so you've sold me.

I believe in Fate.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: May 29, 2012 (04:00 AM)

Ha! three times is the charm. ;)

I though this was the last of the Arland games. Nice to know there are more Ateliers to come. And yes I'm a huge fan of them, I've played all the English releases, even Annie,, apart from Mana Khemia 2 which I gave up on part way through. Didn't like what they did to the awesome battle system of MK and didn't much like the synthesising, or the horrible hard to read font they used. Rorona was frustrating but Totori was great, so I'm delighted to hear that this one is good too.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: TomatoMan
Posted: August 04, 2012 (01:58 AM)

The time restrictions tend to make achieving a particular goal or ending rather difficult, at least in Rorona, since you need to do things for the common folk and friends alike as well as getting a certain rating on your tasks for the King. I must say though, once in the zone you don't really want to stop, the alchemy system is rather addictive.

Check out YieldTomato on YouTube!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.