Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's The Pirates of Dark Water review

This thread is in response to a review for The Pirates of Dark Water on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 15, 2012 (01:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I never knew Pirates of Dark Water, though I know it was a favorite of many of my contemporaries and even more so of the generation one step older than me. I imagine that latter love came from parents who were forced to sit through asinine cartoons with their children and were ecstatic to find one with some depth. I think my parents felt the same way about Gargoyles. I know I felt that way about Hey Arnold, with my younger sister.

Diddy Kong racing actually references it, too, if I remember. Isn't there a "Dark Water Beach" or something?

Anyway, this game actually sounds terrible, though. The boss fights in particular just sound painfully drawn out with no fun involved.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 16, 2012 (12:50 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

My memories of the cartoon: It really sucks when something gets taken off the air LONG before any sort of closure can remotely happen. They did a good job making something a bit darker than the average cartoon. Bloth was pretty intimidating (even if most of his lackeys were more comic relief and somewhat less than loyal) and the Dark Water itself was Stephen King material. While you had obnoxious comic relief with Nibbler, the three-man hero band was more well-written than usual and you couldn't always trust the two sidekicks and their loyalty, either.

The game: Yeah, the bosses got brutal. And the later levels did, too. If you play the game, you'll think "Final Fight in a new setting" with the presentation and look. So imagine if you're in a Final Fight level and you have nothing but wave after wave of Andore, El Gado, Wong Who and other high-level enemies with multiple life bars. Along with death traps here and there. Very brutal. Kind of like some extra sadist-mode difficulty level.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.