Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Tomb Raider delayed to 2013

This thread is in response to an article about Tomb Raider on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: May 14, 2012 (05:14 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

They already Re-booted this thing in 2006, right? I'm not announcing skepticism of the game itself, only my kneejerk irritation at people rebooting stuff every 5 seconds. One day it really will be 5 seconds, mark my words!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JonDavila
Posted: May 14, 2012 (05:40 PM)

I liked your comment, but its mechanics are a bit archaic. A reboot would probably do it some justice, as well as make it more accessible to the new generation.

twitter.com/butt3r

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 14, 2012 (05:45 PM)

I don't think reboots in general are a bad thing. Some are a bit ridiculous, though, like how they're already talking about rebooting Batman again and DKR isn't even out yet. I can understand why, but it seems way too soon to discuss.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: May 14, 2012 (06:00 PM)

Square Enix merging with Eidos has produced some great results so far, and the new Lara looks fantastic. Hope the game isn't too scripty, though.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 14, 2012 (06:06 PM)

^^Agreed on all accounts, and I'm not even a huge TR fan.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 14, 2012 (07:30 PM)

I played the first remake and it was less of a remake and more of "let's make her look like Angelina Joli." All of the gameplay problems and terrible voice acting were still present. And it still didn't look great.

I'm excited for this one.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: May 14, 2012 (08:53 PM)

In fact, I'd forgotten, but I reviewed the remake

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: May 16, 2012 (06:45 AM)

There are probably hundreds/thousands of videogames from the history of gaming that would now be called reboots, but previously, we didn't call them anything, except versions, and that only sometimes.

What is it that bugs me about reboots?

First, the idea that it is either necessary of a good idea to constantly retell the origin story of the same character(s). I find that boring. The klunkiness of having to even tell an origin story once leaves many superhero films ending with the superhero finally in the position to have an adventure in their own right... which they don't get to have because it's highly presumptuous to expect to get a sequel in the incredibly precarious business of AAA films or games.

Second, all this rebooting is constantly making a point of trying to shove the work of the people who went before you under the carpet, increasingly, who only went a few years before you. It makes a point of drawing a line after their work and saying 'forget that, here's the actual story!' In truth, this is partly a semantic issue. In the past, it was just that were fewer stories in games, and also that we made less of a point of drawing attention to the chronology of them when the next one came. And the old games and the old stories are still there, aren't they?

Still, look at the poster for the upcoming Spiderman reboot. It says something like 'The untold story', which really made me laugh. Surely this is now one of the most told stories of all time? Once they started working on it, I'm sure everyone's intentions to slightly alter the story again were sincere, but I'd rather they just forgot about that and made something up themselves, not specifically try to sell me the idea that their Spiderman is fresh as a daisy.

RE: DKR, I saw the trailer in the cinema the other day, and it clearly stated something along the lines of 'the saga ends' or portentous words to that effect.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: May 16, 2012 (11:03 AM)

Maybe Spiderman is simply the most untold story ever ;)

board icon
Posted: May 17, 2012 (03:58 AM)

Touche!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.