Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > [News] Kickstarter campaign to fund Republique enters final 24 hours

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 10, 2012 (06:59 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It does look very cool and I've been playing some extremely good iphone games lately. People shouldn't write it off as a gaming platform. But 80,000 is a lot to make up in 20 hours.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: May 10, 2012 (06:59 PM)

I bet right now they are kicking themselves for not asking for 400,000..... That's SO MUCH MONEY to LOSE.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: May 11, 2012 (07:25 AM)

... and the tide turns! I donated myself last night.

board icon
Author: JonDavila
Posted: May 11, 2012 (03:09 PM)

You donated yourself?

Very selfless of you, good sir. Cheers.

:P

twitter.com/butt3r

board icon
Posted: May 11, 2012 (03:18 PM)

Hey, a kidney goes for a lot these days. You'd be surprised.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: May 11, 2012 (11:44 PM)

It's freakish how quickly AAA developers have turned to kickstarter , and how that's massively jumped the perception of the scale of kickstarter game projects.

There was that point and click adventure, then Wasteland, and suddenly all these frustrated pro developers are going to Kickstarter. And they're not asking for thousands of dollars, they're asking for hundreds of thousands.

I've realised that in an irrational kind of way, this is bugging me. I've got an iPad game in very early development. Actually I'd say by the time I can afford to spend sufficient amounts of time on it, all the technology might have changed again, or there'll be a whole new ipad out again. But anyway, I was thinking it would be me and 2 to 3 people, and we'd ask for a budget in the 1000s. Somehow I'm nervous that all these big arse game projects are going to drive funding away from smaller stuff, or blow out expectations.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 12, 2012 (12:22 AM)

Kickstarter is still an option for people with the right vision (which may well include you, given your success at that design convention). A successful project will have a flashy pitch video, a detailed outline of what people who fund the project can expect, a realistic funding goal, and some awesome rewards that are exclusive to people who pledge.

Remember that most Kickstarter projects intended to get games going still fail. This isn't a case where some slob came along with an ill-advised game idea and said "Hey, give me money!" The Double Fine project succeeded because of pedigree, and so did the Wasteland 2 project. For that matter, so did the Republique one. If someone that no one cared about pitched those ideas--and if those projects weren't pitched well and covered extensively by the appropriate outlets--not much would have happened.

So, can Kickstarter work for you and your project? That depends on if you're producing something that the market actually wants, and it depends on your ability to present it as such. If those two things are lined up, the rest can follow. If they're not, Kickstarter isn't the right option for your team (and never was). While it's true that game journalists are growing less receptive to requests for coverage because a bunch of idiots are throwing together projects now that no one cares about--looking for a golden ticket that's not there--hope remains if you play your cards right.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: May 12, 2012 (01:15 AM)

Yeah, the pitch video and essentially your statement of what you'll provide are still the most important things, I think.

I've been through every ipad game pitch that's been on kickstarter to date and for the ones that didn't make it, it was rarely a mystery why. The pitch lacks detail - the useage of the money is not qualified - or the game on exhibit may suck in an obvious way, or it may be fine but just be better supplied cheaply by something that already exists. The last point's pretty relevant when you factor in that when you fund something as a backer, you may not get the resulting game for 6 months to a year or longer.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: May 12, 2012 (09:43 AM)

Yeah, you also have to remember to make something that can go viral or at least get shown on more than just your own website and your facebook page. Many Kickstarters make the error of focusing primarily on their own circles (because it's tough to break out of your circles!) and it ends up being a bunch of people trying to raise money on kickstarter by asking OTHER PEOPLE doing the SAME THING.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.