Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Confrontation review

This thread is in response to a review for Confrontation on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 07, 2012 (05:44 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Another top notch review from Wolf Queen! I even am interested in checking this out though, boy, that chaotic crap in battle sounds annoying.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: May 07, 2012 (05:51 PM)

Thanks, Zipp. This one didn't feel quite as good as the others I'd written this year, but I'm glad it worked for you nonetheless.

While it can often be annoying when your characters are running into each other instead of doing their jobs, this doesn't happen all the time, and can be prevented if you're careful about how you move your squad as a unit. It is somewhat tiresome knowing you have to be extra diligent just to prevent that sort of thing from happening, but overall, the game is worth checking out, as the strategic variety is quite alluring.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: May 07, 2012 (06:15 PM)

I always enjoy your personal angle on reviewing, WQ. This kind of game seems inline with my tastes, and your descriptions make it easy to relate to the experience. From my short time here, and though I lurk more than comment, I really look up to your material a lot -- you and EmP's probably the most.

If I could provide some sort of constructive feedback, though, I'd say this review would benefit from some explanation of how the battles and units animate. Because the screen shots showcase a very pretty game, at least I think -- and I'd be curious to know how well those visuals move.

EDIT: couldn't find the edit link for a second there, whoops.

Mobius 1, engage...

This message was deleted at the request of bbbmoney, the person who originally posted it.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: May 07, 2012 (06:36 PM)

Thanks, holdthephone. I guess it says a lot when someone else on the board looks up to you. I've always been a humble sort, so often lose sight of how well I've improved. I'm glad there are people that can learn from and respect my work.

Anyway, as for your other comments... I've never placed a huge emphasis on graphics and animation, so it's interesting that you say that. I'd toyed with the idea of taking my own screens, but since Jason had already added the publisher-sent ones to the site already, I figured I'd use those. However, genuine in-play screens would have shown all the interfaces and such that let you command your units. (The four portraits of your squad members would be to the right. Just below those would be the five or six skills you can use, as well as the various commands (such as healing) that you can issue in combat.)

Animations themselves weren't particularly spectacular, since it's kind of hard to see the sorts of melee actions going on when there's a million things happening at once. Though, I will say that the spell effects are pretty awesome.

In any case, I'll keep what you say in mind for the future, since it is sometimes relevant to include such things in a review. (Though, as I said, I have a tendency not to emphasize it, so may do so less than most, and therefore may not know when to emphasize it as well, either.)

Thanks again, though. I really appreciate the comments.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 07, 2012 (09:34 PM)

That's not surprising you look up to WQ and EmP, holdthephone, because WQ ends up rewriting most of EmP's reviews for him, lol

EmP, Suskie, and Zig were the writers I took the most pointers from on the site, especially when I first started. Masters, Overdrive, and Lewis I also learned a ton from, because I felt our styles had a lot in common and I could often take direct lessons from reading their things. My list of favorite reviewers is too long to post and I'd want to explain why each one excites me and what inspirations have been offered by them.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.