Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > SamildanachEmrys's Awesomenauts review

This thread is in response to a review for Awesomenauts on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 06, 2012 (04:28 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I'll tell you what's awesome. Me! For fixing those oversized screens of yours. I sometimes wonder what will happen to this place if I'm not around.

But enough about me! I've recently obtained this game and was discussing just last night how I thought it was like nothing I'd ever really played before. I was then brought crashing down to earth by being told this is a long runnning sub genre I've somehow managed to overlook the hell out of.

Cool review; we disagree on some thing about this game, but I guess I'll cover that when I get around to penning my own peice soonish. If you're still playing, drop me your tag and I'll keep an eye open for you while I'm running around with a giant robot, exploding in people's faces.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 06, 2012 (05:31 PM)

Sammy, your reviewing has improved a lot since you first starting posting here. This review is pretty awes- no, gotta use another word. This review is, uh... dope. I especially like how you end the review talking about how it's failure or success is going to have less to do with the game itself and more to do with the console crowd. It was an interesting place to go with the review and you went there without losing the point.

My only criticism is that intro is a little long- it took me a little too long to figure out what you were talking about. I think the conversation about DOTA is well written and has a valid place in this review. Putting it straight-up at the intro threw me off, especially when accompanied by screenshots that clearly aren't DOTA. Maybe a slightly more connected lead-in would help.

Anyway, liked the review a lot and actually got interested in the game though, as you correctly surmise, I won't pick it up. Mostly due to time constraints, though. And because I spent all my extra money on pre-ordering Max Payne 3.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: May 06, 2012 (06:42 PM)

Yeah this is a pretty bold way to write a review. It came across well on my end, but I've put probably 600 hours in League of Legends and other MOBAs by now. I'm not entirely sure if the review would be as successful for people unfamiliar with all these acronyms, and even 2-3 paragraphs is a really light way to paint the general aspects of MOBA culture with.

And on top of all the references to the PC community and control differences, I feel this is a good article written for a small audience.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: May 06, 2012 (08:09 PM)

I didn't want to get too into the whole MOBA thing, since it can be pretty offputting. It's true that the beginning might not be the best place for it but I wanted to get all that general stuff out of the way so I could talk about this specific game. It's not a review of a genre.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Posted: May 06, 2012 (09:06 PM)

And hey, don't get me wrong. I really like this review and I like that I've seen you improve so much! You've also tackled a game I wouldn't know how to write a review for and yet when I read it, you make it seem very straightforward.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: SamildanachEmrys
Posted: May 07, 2012 (05:09 PM)

Thanks! Improvement can only be good.

And thanks to EmP for correcting the images. There's no longer a preview option before posting, so I have no idea what the layout will look like.

'There would be tears and there would be strange laughter. Fierce births and deaths beneath umbrageous ceilings. And dreams, and violence, and disenchantment.'

board icon
Posted: May 07, 2012 (05:44 PM)

Yeah! What happened to the preview button? I've been having to preview stuff on my blog.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.