Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JoeTheDestroyer's Shark Attack review

This thread is in response to a review for Shark Attack on the Atari 2600. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: qxz
Posted: May 03, 2012 (10:33 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

From the review:

Unlike the ghosts, the shark doesn't chase you about the maze. Instead, it appears on one side and swims to the other, moving through walls. Anything in its path, namely you or treasure, will slip into its belly and suffer a slow, horrible fate in its digestive system.

Yeesh! You'd think that, with a steady diet of golden doubloons and bouillon, a shark wouldn't even be able to stay afloat, let alone swim.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
-- Adam Savage

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 04, 2012 (02:34 AM)

Yeah, well, plausibility isn't this game's strong suit. Just the idea of a man-eating shark or a reptile living in Loch Ness is questionable. Maybe less so in the case of the former, as a bull shark might be able to get into Loch Ness via River Ness. I'm no marine biologist, though.

They could have gone with something actually found in the loch, but Sturgeon Attack just doesn't have the same ring.

EDIT:
Scratch that. Loch Ness is too cold for bull sharks.

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 04, 2012 (09:57 AM)

I've always thought that plausibility never was the 2600's strong suit. Most of the time, I got the idea that designers kept a room full of first graders on hand to get their ideas from.

LEAD DESIGNER: "Billy, what do you think would be a cool game?"

STUPID KID: "Getting goodies from a lake while sharks and stuff get you!!!!"

LEAD DESIGNER: "Hooo-kayyyyy...we'll work on that one. Now, Sally, how about you?"

STUPID KID II: "I wuv E.T.! Make E.T. a game!!!!"

LEAD DESIGNER: "Oh boy, with this system, this isn't going to turn out well... *sigh* Whatever, we'll give it a go after we rush out these 15 shoddy arcade-to-2600 ports..."

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 04, 2012 (10:18 AM)

More accurately, the ET conversation went like this:

"Hey guys, what can we spend almost no development dollars on and yet hope to make back millions?"

ANSWER: Anything with Steven Speilberg's name on it.

"Right, get on that."

IRONIC REALITY: They didn't secure the rights until five weeks before delivery and it ended up costing them 125 million dollars to make. That's high even today.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: May 04, 2012 (10:34 AM)

Implausibility isn't exactly friends with retro gaming in general, considering the moments where you have to:

-Kill a giant octopus with a yo-yo
-Fend off entire armies of gutter punks chiefly using your fists and feet
-Contend with bats and raptors so powerful they can blow you back a full twelve feet
-Defeat enemies by jumping on them or throwing rocks at them

I could go on for ages...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 04, 2012 (11:35 AM)

To be fair, if somebody literally JUMPED ON MY HEAD, I would probably be out for the count, too.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: May 04, 2012 (12:15 PM)

Yeah, true. Especially if the guy is a heavy set Italian wearing big black boots.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.