Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW April 22 - 28 2012

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: May 02, 2012 (08:23 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Not a bad week I must say. I'm going to make this introduction brief. On to the results! (Remember: Just because you don't place, doesn't mean your review isn't good.)

THIRD PLACE: Joe's Ms. Pac-Man review:

This is an energetic and nostalgic review with a little bit of history that really adds to pique the reader's interest. You do well comparing this game to the Arcade as well as its predecessor. Pics clarify what you're talking about at the time. And somehow you manage to explain it all with a certain degree of enthusiasm that kept me hooked throughout. Well done. I'm always impressed to see such good writing come from such an old, simple game. (I've always had a hard time making games like Q*bert sound interesting, for example.)

SECOND PLACE: EmP's Pure review:

As always, you do a great job of engaging the reader with your writing. Your descriptions paint a good picture of the chaos surrounding each race. I've never been a huge sports or racing fan, but you did well to convince me of the game's uniqueness. So much so that if I were to play a racing title now, I may well choose this one. Good job.

FIRST PLACE: holdthephone's Journey review.

Wow. This is a fantastic review. Somehow you manage to capture everything the game is about without really revealing anything spoilerific about it. Your descriptions of the setting and abstract feelings, scenes, senses, everything that you experience while on this journey really make this sound like some kind of profound philosophical venture. In a way, I'm reminded of Flower on the PS3, which also featured a “solent protagonist” (so to speak), and an ambiance that proved more relaxing than anything else. I feel that Journey is very similar to that, but with a bit of extra interaction (that is, if what you say is true about the other people you meet being actual online players.) Very well done. You've come a long way since you first started writing here, or at least I think so.

Honorable Mention: OD's Final Fantasy review

The thing I like about this review is the way you describe how much your impressions changed from when you first played the game. Final Fantasy X is one of those games that almost every RPG fan has already played, and so they probably know all the important things about it. Thus, a traditional review of the game isn't going to be quite as effective anymore. That's why I think your strategy works so well; it's not a traditional review. It gives a different perspective from the eyes of any one of us.

There were also a couple reviews from Rhondy Tobin (Roto13) that did well to give a general rundown of their respective games. Schultz's take on an old Atari average game was quite interesting to read. Thing sounds oppressive, honestly. We also saw a great analysis of Metal Gear Solid 4 by Sise-Neg that you should read. Calvin also makes an appearance with another racing game, and gives a solid review. And a new contribution from one of our new faces, and who has seemed eager to improve, Alk is a much appreciated sight.

Congrats and thanks to everyone for their submissions!

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: bbbmoney
Posted: May 02, 2012 (08:57 PM)

Thanks for the kind words, WQ. This is my first time even being mentioned in a ROTW, so it means a lot.

It was cool of you to nod to everyone who contributed last week as well.

Mobius 1, engage...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: May 03, 2012 (12:21 AM)

High five, hold. Two Journeys on the ROTW docket.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: May 03, 2012 (09:25 AM)

What a tardy RotW. OD has some measure of comeback in furture, methinks. Pick up your game, slacker.

Oh, and thanks, I guess!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: JoeTheDestroyer (Mod)
Posted: May 03, 2012 (11:05 AM)

Thanks, Wolf! And congrats on your first ROTW win, HTP!

The only thing my milkshake brings to the yard is a subpoena.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 03, 2012 (11:45 AM)

Thanks for the kind words, WQ. Figured I better do something different with this one just to, you know, give people a reason to want to read it, since it is for a hugely-covered game. Playing XIII benefited me, I guess, as I was able to generate a pretty good comparison of the two, which gave me a different tangent.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: May 04, 2012 (08:27 AM)

Thanks and congrats!

It was actually an old NES game. The graphics were cute, but yeah, overall the game wasn't good. A week out, I ahve vague fond memories of it, and I'm going to keep them that way.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.